2. Assessing any other famous Canadian – ex. Louis Riel, Romeo Dallaire, Stephen Lewis,
Arthur Currie, Nellie McClung, Emily Murphy, John McCrae, Norman Bethune, Sandford
Fleming, Billy Bishop, William Stephenson, Rene Levesque, John Molson, Sam Steele,
Tommy Douglas, J.S. Woodsworth, Frederick Banting, Alexander Graham Bell, Terry Fox, etc.
(see http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/greatcanadians/ for further details on the CBC’s “Greatest
3. Canada’s role in the Great War(1914-1918)
4. A detailed analysis of Canada’s role in a specific battle of the Great War
5. The treatment of enemy aliens during the Great War
6. Canada at the Treaty of Versailles (1919)
7. Account for Canada’s prosperity during the 1920s 8. Why did the Great Depression hit Canada so hard?
9. Comparing the WWI ConscriptionCrisis with that of WWII
10. Canada’s role in WWII 11. A detailed analysis of Canada’s role in a specific battle of WWII
12. The Treatment of Japanese Canadians during WWII
13. Newfoundland joins Confederation – 1949; Joey Smallwood 14. Canada’s role in the United Nations
15. The role of NATO (or NORAD) in the Cold War
16. The Avro Arrow– who was ultimately responsible for its fate?
17. Cold War Spies
18. The “Red Scare”
19. The role of the CBC in Canada – Is it still necessary? Was it ever? Should it be reformed?
20. The role of the Canadian Radio-Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) – Is it still
21. An argument in favour (or against) Quebec sovereignty 22. The Duplessis Era in Quebec – success or failure?
23. The Quiet Revolution – origins? Impact?
24. The October Crisis (1970) – The FLQ – The War Measures Act
25. 15 November 1976 – Victory for the Parti Quebecois!
26. The Quebec Referendumsof 1980 & 1995
27. Quebec’s reaction to the 1982 Constitution 28. Multiculturalism and/or Bilingualism: Benefit or hindrance?
29. Analyze the impact of a specific immigrant group to Canadian society (Ukrainians, Chinese,
30. The rise of the Reform Party (or the Bloc Quebecois) – underlying causes, etc.
31. Constitutional Woes – The Meech Lake Accordand/or the Charlottetown Accord 32. Canada-US differences – What are the historical reasons for a distinct Canadian identity?
33. Canada-US relations – too close? Too confrontational?
34. The Canadian film industry – representing our identity?
35. Canada-US trade disputes – Lumber; Beef; etc.
36. Canada’s role in the War on Terrorism– effective?
37. Canada & the 2003 War in Iraq – was staying out a good decision or a mistake?
38. The role of the Canadian armed forces in the world
39. Canada & the Suez crisis 40. Canada’s role in APEC 41. Canadian refugee & immigration policy
42. A topic of your choice – discuss with your teacher before beginning research!
DEFINING MOMENT ESSAY: TOPIC LIST
Canadian History Grade 10 Argumentative Essay
Women in War
Canada and D-Day (Juno Beach)
Battle of Britain: RCAF
Canada’s Role in the Battle of Hong Kong
War Measures Act
Internment of Japanese Canadians
Effects of War on Canada
Merchant Marine & Convoy System
Battle of Atlantic: Royal Canadian Navy
Canada and the Italian Campaign
Liberation of Netherlands
Canada and peacekeeping
Canada’s Role in Gulf War
Canada’s Role in Korean War
War on the Homefront
Canada and the Cold War
Canada and Afghanistan
Canadian Armed Forces