Units 1. The East India Company and Education- Christian Missionary efforts on Education – Impact of Western Education on India. Raja Rammohan Roy and his views on education – Orientalists versus Anglicists.
2. Macaulay’s Minutes on education- the objective of Western education in India –The Filtration Theory –Charles Wood’s Despatch (1854) Indian Education Commission and Educational Progress (1882-1904).
3. Lord Curzon’s policy on education – Indian University Act 1904- Education under Dyarchy – place of education under provincial autonomy – The Sergeant Report –Calcutta Education Commission -The University Education Commission Report-Secondary Education Commission Report.
4. Education under the Five Year Plans – Kothari Commission Report.
5. New Education Policy –Identification of New Educational Objectives –importance of Technical Education.
1. Rawat, P.L - History of Indian Education (1970), Ramprasad and sons, Agra.
2. Vakil and Natarajan, S. – Education in India (1966)3rd Edn, Allied Publishers Ltd.
3. Nanda, S.K. – Reflections on Indian Education.
4. B.L. Grover & S. Grover, A New Look at Modern Indian History, S. Chand & Company Ltd., New Delhi,1998.
2. PANCHAYAT RAJ
Units The concept of Panchayat Raj. The views of Mahatma Gandhi and Sarvodaya Leaders.
Brief history of the Evolution of Democratic Decentralisation in India since 1947 with special reference to the debate in the Constituent Assembly, Bulwantrai Mehta and Naik Committees.
The evolution of Panchayat Raj in Tamil Nadu since 1950. Organisation of Panchayat Raj, Village Panchayats and Panchayat Unions-The different types of Panchayat Councils.
Panchayat Finance – Sources of income and expenditure – Development of the resources of the Panchayats,
Problems of Panchayat Administration and Management of Panchayat Raj and Community Development Programmes.
Books Recommended: Jain, S.C. –Community Development and Panchayat Raj in India.
Dharmpal & Saraswathi - The Madras Panchayat System.
Dayal, Rajeswar - Panchayat Raj in India.
George Jacob – Readings in Panchayat Raj
Iqubal Narain – Panchayat Raj
Indian Institute of Public Administration Vol. VIII, No.4.
George Mathew et.al. (Eds.) Status of Panchayati Raj in the States and Union Territories of India 2000. Institute of Social Sciences, Concept publishing Company, 2000
3. HISTORY OF LABOUR MOVEMENT IN INDIA
Introduction –British Labour Movements and their impact on Indian Labour-Russian Revolution and its impact on Indian Labour.
Trade Union Movement from 1875 to1920-Establishment of All India Trade Union Movement in 1920.
Growth of Trade Union Movement from 1920-1947.
The role of the Indian National Congress and Trade Union Movement Expansion- Labour Involvement in Freedom Struggle.
Federations of Labour Unions-AITUC-INTUC-HMS-UTUC-Labour Laws-I.L.O. – Labour Welfare Measures in Independent India- Trade Unionism and its effect on the Indian Economy.
Books Recommended: B.L. Grover & S. Grover, A New Look at Modern Indian History, S. Chand & Company Ltd., New Delhi,1998.
C.S. Krishna, Labour Movement in Tamil Nadu, K.P. Bagchi & Company, Calcutta, 1981.
G.Ramanujam, Indian Labour Movement, Sterling Publishers Private Limited,New Delhi,1986.
4. Intellectual History of Modern Tamil Nadu
Units: Importance of Intellectual History- Intellectuals and their role in the society.