Not! “Leadership is doing the right things. Management is doing things right.” —WB et al.
The Twain SHALL Meet!Leadership: Invite Associates/Colleagues/Talent to join a Gaspworthy Adventure in EXCELLENCE which will provide matchless Personal and Professional Growth and be of Dramatically Different Service to selected Clients Management: Do it!
“Never forget implementation boys. In our work it’s what I call the ‘missing 98 percent’ of the client puzzle.” —Al McDonald
an appetite to “Eat Radical Change for Breakfast”)
(96 words by my count)
Everything You Need to Know about “Strategy”: Tom’s Baker’s Dozen Axioms
1. Do you have Awesome Talent … Everywhere? Do you push that Talent to pursue …
2. Is your Talent Pool loaded with Wonderfully Peculiar People who others would call “problems”? And what about your Extended Community of customers, vendors et al?
3. Is your Board of Directors as Cool as your product offerings … and does it have 50 percent (or at least one-third) Women Members?
4. Long-term, it’s a “Top-line World”: Is creating a “culture” that cherishes above all things Innovation and Entrepreneurship your primary aim? Remember: Innovation … not Imitation!
5. Are the Ultimate Rewards heaped upon those who exhibit an Unswerving “Bias for Action,” to quote the co-authors of In Search of Excellence?
6. Do you routinely use hot, Aspirational Words-terms like “Excellence” and B.H.A.G. (Big Hairy Audacious Goal, per Jim Collins) and “Let’s make a dent in the Universe” (the Word according to Steve Jobs)? Is “Reward excellent failures, punish mediocre successes” your de facto motto?
7. Do you subscribe to Jerry Garcia’s dictum: “We do not merely want to be the best of the best, we want to be the only ones who do what we do”?
8. Do you elaborate on and enhance Jerry G’s dictum by adding, “We subscribe to ‘Best Sourcing’—and only want to associate with the ‘best of the best’.”
9. Do you Embrace the New Technologies with child-like enthusiasm and a revolutionary’s zeal?
10. Do you “serve” and “satisfy” customers … or “go berserk” attempting to provide every customer with an “awesome experience” that does nothing less than transform the way she or he sees the world?
11. Do you understand … to your very marrow … that the two biggest under-served markets are Women and Boomers-Geezers? And that to “take advantage” of these two Monster “Trends” (FACTS OF LIFE) requires fundamental re-alignment of the enterprise?
12. Are your leaders Accessible? Do they wear their Passion on their sleeves? Does Integrity ooze out of every pore of the enterprise? Is “We care” your implicit motto?
This I Believe: Tom’s Super-TIB25 1. TECHNICOLOR Times. 2. Passion! Enthusiasm! Energy! 3. Action/R.F.A./O.O.D.A. Speed. 4. Screw-ups. BIG SCREW-Ups! 5. Mess! Improv! 6. Revolution! Re-imagine! 7. INNOVATE OR DIE! 8. Decentralize! 9. Bulk is BULL! (Mergers don’t work. FOCUS Does!) 10 “Different” > “Better” 11. eALL/Power Tools for Power Strategies! 12. Forgetting/Destruction. 13. Hot Language Matters! 14. WOW!/WOW Projects. 15. VA Bedrock: The “PSF.” (Professional Service Firm.) 16. Daring. 17. Talent Time! Leaders “Do” People! 18. Talent+/Diversity. 19. Talent++/Women Rule! 20. “Brand You” Universe. 21. Design! 22. Gasp-worthy Experiences/Lovemarks. 23. New Market Demographics/Women/Boomers & Geezers/Green/Wellness. 24. Grace. 25. EXCELLENCE!