Thematic Essay Global 10 Mr. Healy Before you start writing!
Navigate this page:
Industrial Revolution the Environment
Capitalism vs. Communism
Science and Technology
Before you start writing!
Read the entire question.
Determine what it is they are asking.
Brainstorm - write down all your knowledge of the topic.
Break your ideas into your three best arguments.
Introduction - this includes your thesis statement.
Conclusion - sum up your entire essay.
- 11,000 years ago, people stop being nomads, develop farming, domesticate animals, permanent settlements resulting in civilization.
- In the 1700’s
, machines made goods replace hand made goods. This resulted in urbanization, working & living conditions, higher standard of living.
The Agricultural Revolution
started the Industrial Revolution
Scientific Revolution -
through the Scientific Method people learned to question the Church and ancient Philosophers.
Geocentric, heliocentric theories.
Copernicus & Galileo.
The Enlightenment - People rejected monarchs and supported democracy. New ways of viewing authority, power, government and law.
- Natural Rights (Life, liberty & Property.)
Baron de Montesquieu
Separation of powers in government to Judicial, executive and legislative.
- Freedom of press & religion.
fought for Women rights.
Start European colonization of the Americas.
is the exchange of foods, plants, animals & disease between Europe and America.
- Goods. Slaves and product are traded between Europe Africa and America.
Starts with the Enlightenment in France.
People demand representation.
End the Monarch and try to create a democracy.
Robespierre and “The Reign of Terror”.
Collapse of the Soviet Union - the collapse of Communism in the USSR started the end of Communism in Europe.
Mikhail Gorbachev policy of Perestroika brought freedoms to Soviet people and markets.
- 3,000 years old and is focused in India.
Polytheism is the belief in
more than one God.
- The four Nobles Truth.
- Monotheistic belief that they are the chosen one.
- Jesus is the son of God. Is Monotheistic.
- Five Pillars of faith and Mohammad is the founder.
Geography & Environment
Early River Civilization
Early civilization grew up around rivers. They supply irrigation, power, transportation and protection. (Fertile Crescent)
- Island chains need raw materials, & great defense.
Britain's natural resources, river systems, canals, harbors and raw materials help the Industrial Revolution.
Industrial Revolution & the Environment
New sources of energy often create new forms of pollution.
Urbanization creates unsanitary cities.
Disease increases in unsanitary conditions.
- all needs are provided by farm.This uses the Barter System.
- Medieval system based on a manor and the villages that surround the land.
- When your country builds up it’s money supply.
This is done by exporting more than you import.
Capitalism vs. Communism
- the factors of production are owned privately and operated for a profit.
The United States & England
- the factors of production are owned by the government. People can’t
make business decision
, only the government.
The Soviet Union & Communist china.
- Kings or Queen exercise central power. Absolute Monarch has divine Rights and total control.
- Europe & Japan in 1600 - 1800. Peasants belong to lords and pay taxes, work for defense and work on estate.
People pick leaders through voting.
All power is in the hands of the people.
Guarantees freedom of press, religion, speech and assemble.
It is the government of The West today. This includes the United States.
, Nazism, Fascism, Authoritarianism.
There are no freedom.
People have no say in government.
People do not have the right of free speech, freedom of the press.
Government control people with fear and violence.
Britain in India
British controlled India since 1700.
British tried to destroy Indian culture.
Gandhi led a peaceful nationalist movement
European Powers in Africa
Berlin Conference of 1845 divided up Africa.
Destroyed culture, family, history,
Cause of World War I.
Especially France and Germany.
Conflict over territory in Africa and trade.
Also, natural resources and markets.
Justice and Human Rights
Code of Hammurabi
- One set of laws for all carved on a pillar.
First major collection of laws in history.
Irish Potato Famine
blight killed potato crop in 1840’s.
Created widespread famine.
British, who controlled the island exported food as population starved to death.
- In Beijing china, students help a protest.
They demanded greater say in the government.
Wanted more democratic government.
Chinese government answered with tanks and guns. Killed many protester.
Farming, permanent structures and society.
Invention of the Printing Press.
Mass production of literature.
Higher literacy rate
Spread of political ideas.
Spread of Christianity.
handlers -> Fast Food: Who’s to Blame?
handlers -> The sat vs the Act
Share with your friends:
The database is protected by copyright ©sckool.org 2019