Twelve day Workshop on “Research Methodology Course in Social Sciences for SC/ST and Minorities Ph.D. Students” from 20th – 31st January, 2014Organized by School of Management, SRM University, SRM Nagar, Kattankualthur, Kancheepuram.
The proposal has been submitted to the ICSSR for grants to conduct two week Research Methodology workshop for SC/ST and minority PhD scholars with the following broad objectives;
Develop capacity for conceptualization and writing of research proposals.
Develop skills to prepare an appropriate research design based on literature review, formulation of research questions and hypotheses, data collection and analysis.
Develop ability to use SPSS version 22 for analysis of data.
Develop capacity to write a research paper for publication.
Focus 1. To build research capacity among participants/research scholars who are conducting/interested in conducting research in social sciences and empower to complete research work successfully.
2. Provide interface with experts from different areas and initiate the process of using software for both qualitative and quantitative analyses.
2. Why to attend the course? The course design includes didactic lectures, problem solving sessions, hands-on training, participants’ presentation and group work. The course faculty includes eminent professors and research professionals. The course offers an opportunity for the participants to discuss their research projects with experts.
What this course helps you learn? 1. Understand framework for scientific inquiry.
2. Use electronic and other resources to conduct a literature review
7. Defining aim the need and significance of the study
8. Choosing an appropriate research design
9. Defining population and sample
10. Sampling methods and sample size calculation
11. Data analysis and interpretation
12. Principles of statistical analysis (SPSS)
13. Interpretation of statistical analysis using SPSS
14. Presentation of results and findings
15. Publishing in peer reviewed journals
3. Workshop Methodology Workshop is conducted in a face-to-face mode. The learning Modules will be posted on www.piazza.com course LMS (https://piazza.com/class/hpau00q92h26xf) and is available for participants. There are presentations by the Resource persons which will be followed by discussions. More than 50% time is allotted for hand-on and group activities. Active participation of all the participants is requested. The participants are encouraged to create blogs on which their assignments, thoughts, reflections could be posted.
4. Certification The participants who complete two weeks of attendance of the workshop are awarded certificate of participation by the ICSSR-SRM University.
5. Eligibility The course work participants should belong to any of the following target groups.
Target group 1. Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists and Zoroastrians (Parsis) notified as minority communities under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992 (or)
2. Schedule caste/schedule tribe as per different notifications of statutory bodies.
3. a. All those, pursuing their doctoral work, and college of university teachers, or members of recognized research institutions who are engaged in doctoral work or engaged in or planning to engage in research work (not necessary for Ph.D.) will be eligible to apply for these courses. Due care will be given to allocate in General Category to OBC and Minorities as per instructions of Government of India. Recipient of Post-Doctoral Fellowship from ICSSR/UGC, from State University may apply.
b. The applications of all these candidates should be forwarded by the sponsoring authorities, namely the Institution/ Employer/ Research Supervisors of the candidates concerned.
4. An application provided at the end of this brochure is sufficient will enable the candidate to get admitted. The academic career of the candidate, as well as the recommendations of the supervisors in regard to their competence and motivation should be given due edge.
5. Scholars will be selected from the neighbouring states/catchment area of the course organizing institute.
6. In SCP scheme the scholars will be selected from SC/ST category and they must dominate in the course. Some scholars from Other Categories preferably OBC category may also be selected.
The participants may belong to any of the broad disciplines within the domain of social sciences and may be from the following areas;
1. Sociology and Social Anthropology;
2. Political Science/Public Administration and allied;
11. National Security & Strategic Studies;
6. Registration Fee The registration fee may be sent by way of demand draft in the account of “SRM School of Management”, Chennai. Please send the draft only after confirmation of admission by the programme coordinator.
1. Rs.1000/- for Lecturer or equivalent
2. Rs.500/- for Ph.D Scholars getting any fellowship
3. Rs.200/- for scholars without any fellowship
The fee includes workshop kit, coffee/tea, refreshments and certificate. However, no lunch is provided. The participants are requested to avail canteen facility available in the campus. No accommodation is provided and they are required make their own arrangements.
Forenoon session 9.00 am – 12.30pm
Afternoon session 1.30pm-3.45 pm
Each of the participants is given the following form at the write his/her expectations and the expectations are aggregated and integrated into the course work.
Please write five important aspects you would like to learn from the programme.
5. Write brief about your area of research (not more than 100 words)
7 Publicity for the programme Posters are sent to eighteen university Vice Chancellors. The course coordinator met personally for two days fourteen institutions, including institutions that cater to the needs of minorities. Portal specially for the purpose of the programme is designed and candidates are requested to register from the portal.(http://www.icssr-srm.net). The poster is displayed in majority of institutions.
8 Selection of the Participants A list of the participants selected is provided in the Annexure I. Totally thirty two applications are received and all the applicants are selected. However, twenty one applicants could complete the course work successfully and are provided with certificates. The social profile of the participants is,
1. Minorities- Christians-13 Muslim-3 (Muslim-ST-1)
2. SC/ST- 1
3. Other Backward Community-2
Course Content and Time Table are given in the Annexure II
9 Practical Sessions SPSS has sponsored SPSS Version 22 free trial for 14 days for each of the participants. All the participants worked with SPSS and learnt basics as well as advanced methods of analysis solving problems.
Certificate sponsored by SPSS is given in the Annexure III
10 Reading Material Social Science Research: Principles, Methods, and Practices
Professor Anol Bhattacherjee The above text book is given to the students as it is given under creative commons license free to all participants. Herewith I am attaching the letter from Professor Anol Bhattacherjee regarding usage of his book. We gratefully acknowledge his help for the programme.
Dear Professor Prabhakar, Thank you for your kind words. I hope your colleagues and students will find the book useful. It’s nice that you are organizing this 2-week workshop for academics, and I’m sure that they will benefit from it. I’ve done similar 2-week workshops for other universities, covering a small portion of the content of the book, focusing specifically on survey research, which is my area of work. Best wishes on the workshop.
10. Certificates to Participants and Feedback Copy of certificates to participants and feedback is given in the annexure IV
11. Audit report by Chartered Accountant Audited statement by of accounts and utilization certificate in the format of GRF – 19-A if provided in Annexure V
Learning from conducting the course
It is fulfilling to note that majority of the students gave a feedback positively for the course being conducted in a manner that is fulfilling to them
All the course content is made available through the www.piazza.com learning management system and the participants may get back to the faculty in future
Some of the important areas such as usage of software to use qualitative methods and mixed methods may be shared with the participants in future.
Six Day Workshop on “Computational Methods and Data Analysis in Social Sciences” from 19th - 24th March, 2014 Organized by Department of Economics, Nizam College Osmania University, Hyderabad.
Department of Economics, Nizam College, Osmania University organized a six day research methodology workshop entitled “Computational Methods and Data Analysis in Social Sciences” during 19th -24th March 2014 at Auditorium, Nizam College
The workshop was inaugurated by Prof. S. Galab , Director, Center for Economic, and social studies , Hyderabad on 19th March 2014 at 10.00am .Prof. G. Krishna Reddy, Director , ICSSR-SRC, Osmania University graced the occasion as Guest of honour Prof. T.L.N. Swamy , Course Director welcomed the gathering and Prof. G. Ramakrishna presented the objectives of the workshop, Prof. K. Pratap Reddy course co-ordinator presented vote of thanks.
21 technical sessions were organized on various themes such as Identification of Research Problem, Use of SPSS in Social Sciences, Questionnaire Preparation & Data Coding , E-Reources E- Journals& Data base, Sampling Techniques , Central Tendency & Dispersion methods using –SPSS, Cross Tabulation & Correlation using SPSS, Regression using SPSS, Dummy variable Technique, Tests of Significance, Research Report writing: Analysis of Time series data using E views, Multivariate Analysis using SPSS, Logit & probit Model , Scaling Techniques, SPSS- An overview, Hands on experience, Case study methods during the six day workshop. The resource persons including Prof. S.V. Satyanarayan Dean faculty of Commerce, OU., Prof. Bavaiah,Head Dept. of Economics,SKD, Anantapur. Prof. Rangacharyulu,Former Director,Faculty of Statistics,NIRD,Dr. Chakaravarthy, Prof T L N Swamy,Dept. of Economics,Nizam College,Prof. K. Pratap Reddy,Prof. B.Shiva Reddy,Prof. G. Ramakrishna,Dept. of Economics, OU, Prof. Indrakanth, RBI Chair professor, CSD. Prof. K. Hanummantha Rao, NIRD, Dr. Chowdhary, Dr. Krishna Reddy, Dr. Vishnuvardhan, Prof. A. G. Moss,Prof. Ravindra Murthy,Prof. K. V. Achalapathi have participated and delivered lectures.
About 125 participants both research scholars and faculty belonging to departments of Economics, Commerce & Management, Education, Psychology, from various state and central universities , UN world food programme division and google organization have attended all the six days of workshop.
Valedictory section was organized on 24th March 2014 at 4.00pm and certificates were distributed to all the participants. The workshop was conducted with vote of thanks presented by the course director.