School of Mathematical & Computer Sciences Dept of Computer Science

Download 0.6 Mb.
Size0.6 Mb.
1   ...   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

Examination Feedback

Students are entitled to request feedback on their examination performances. Students are required to write to (or email) the CS DL team seeking such feedback, and must do so within one month from when the examination results are released. Requests after this date will not be considered.
Note however that student’s scripts will not be remarked and only general feedback will be provided. Students should be realistic in seeking feedback, as a clear fail means that the student has performed to a very low level and not achieved the minimum level of learning outcomes expected. Therefore, it is clear that such students have to revise the entire course(s) again.
Students should also be aware that all borderline scripts are second marked internally and all scripts are verified (by the Board of Examiners, including External Examiners) to have been fairly and consistently marked.


The regulations relating to Examination Appeals are contained in Regulation 36, Student Appeals, of Heriot-Watt University, and information for students on the academic appeals processes are contained in the “Guidelines on Student Academic Appeal Procedures” document which can be accessed via
Students should pay particular consideration to Sections 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the “Guidelines on Student Academic Appeal Procedures” document.
Of particular note is Section 4.2 of the document:
4.2 There is no right of appeal where it relates to questioning grades or marks or decisions of Examiners, or other matters which are based on questioning the academic judgement of members of academic staff or Examiners.
The following further aims to assist students’ understanding:
If students wish to dispute the decision of the Board of Examiners then they should write in the first instance to the Head of School (School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences) outlining their reasons for their dispute. Students may be required to provide additional verified supporting documentation. The Head of School, if deemed appropriate, will then invite the Board of Examiners and the relevant External Examiner(s) to give further consideration to their examination performance.
Students should note that their own personal views on how well they believe they have performed are not generally regarded as sufficient grounds of appeals. All examinations go through a rigorous review process.
If students are still dissatisfied with the outcome from the Head of School then they may appeal to the Senate of the Heriot-Watt University (i.e. the supreme governing body of the University) indicating the grounds for their appeal. An appeal will only be considered on medical grounds or other exceptional circumstances. The background information concerning the appeal should be outlined and any supporting documentation such as medical certificates etc attached.
It should be noted that if an appeal is pending then students will not be eligible to receive a proposed award (i.e. Certificate or Diploma of Higher Education or Ordinary degree). In the case of an Ordinary degree award then the student would not be able to graduate until all the appeal procedures have been exhausted or the appeal is withdrawn.
Students should note that examination scripts will not be reviewed, under any circumstance, by the Head of School, the Internal Examiners, the External Examiners or the Board of Examiners unless they are the subject of a formal appeal.

A formal appeal must be submitted if students wish to question their examination results.

Scripts will not be re-marked, under any circumstance, unless they are the subject of a formal appeal, and there is sufficient evidence presented to conduct an appeal.

Regulations and Policies

Section B of this handbook, provided by the Academic Registry of Heriot-Watt University for all Undergraduate Students who study off-campus (i.e. at a location other than a Heriot-Watt University campus), contains information regarding the regulations and policies of the University.
All students should familiarise themselves with those regulations and policies, available on the Heriot-Watt University web-site (
The following may be of particular reference to students:

Mixed-Mode Study Regulations

Of particular importance is Regulation 44, Mixed-Mode Study – Modular First Degrees. Mixed-Mode refers to any mode of study for a first degree that is not conducted full-time at a Heriot-Watt University campus. Regulation 44 encompasses all Heriot-Watt University Mixed-Mode study degrees and should be read in conjunction with the preceding sections of this Handbook, which helps explain how these regulations apply.

Student Complaints Procedure

The School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences encourages a positive environment where contact with and feedback from students is both welcomed and encouraged. We also realise that from time to time mistakes can occur and arrangements can be improved upon. We welcome student feedback on where we can improve to make students’ learning and learning environment better.
Though we hope that students will have no need to raise a concern or complaint, students should also be aware that there is a formal Complaints Procedure that applies equally to those who study through Mixed-Mode study. Full information is contained in the Complaints Procedure Booklet
To help digest this document, we provide the following summary:
A complaint is defined as “any concern a student might have relating to the University including concerns about the provision of a programme of study, academic related matter, service or facility provided by the University”.
This includes, but is not limited to, concerns regarding the CS DL programme and, where applicable, a student’s ALP.
There are a number of stages involved in a Complaints Procedure, and further information is contained in the documentation.

Most concerns can be resolved by dealing directly with the person involved. Therefore, we would encourage students to raise their concerns directly with their tutor or programme director at their ALP (if appropriate).

If students either:

(a) feel unable to approach their tutor or programme director or

(b) are not satisfied with the response received

then we would encourage students to contact the CS DL team (School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences). The DL Director will then aim to resolve the matter without having to make it a matter for the Head of School (School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences), unless deemed necessary.

All Independent Learners are encouraged to contact the DL Director in the first instance, unless they feel that this is inappropriate. In such circumstance, they can write to the Head of School

  • Complaint to Head of School

If students feel that their complaint has not been resolved to their satisfaction or the student feels unable to make direct contact with either their ALP or directly to the DL Director, the complaint should be put in writing and sent to the Head of School (School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences).

  • Formal Complaint to Student Complaints Officer

Where the student feels that their complaint has not been satisfactorily resolved, or feels unable to raise their complaint with their ALP, the DL Director, or the Head of School (School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences), then they should contact the Student Complaints Officer of Heriot-Watt University. The contact details of the Student Complaints Officer are on the Heriot-Watt University web-site Students should submit their complaint to the Student Complaints Officer using the standard “Student Complaints Form” also available from the registry web-site.

  • Complaint to the Secretary of the University, Referral to the Complaints Committee and Independent Review

If a student considers that after raising the issue with the Student Complaints Officer the matter has still not been resolved to their satisfaction then the complaint can be referred to the Secretary of the University. Thereafter, if still not resolved, it should be referred to the Complaints Committee of Heriot-Watt University. If the student is still dissatisfied with the outcome reached then they can lodge a case for an independent review. Further details are contained on the registry web-site.

Download 0.6 Mb.

Share with your friends:
1   ...   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

The database is protected by copyright © 2022
send message

    Main page