The quality assurance policies and outcomes of the institution are communicated to all the stakeholders, viz. students, staff members, old faculty, alumni members, parents and the local people through different meetings, seminars and workshops organised by the College from time. Necessary information in this regard is reflected on the college website. The reports of activities are displayed to all the stakeholders on Notice Board, and communicated to Director, Higher Education, Department of Higher education – government of Odisha, University authorities, UGC and other agencies as and when required.
Our Institutional gardening in an attempt to provide a clean and green environment in the dimension of its total landscape. The college students have adopted the plants and offered collective responsibility to make the garden green and vibrant by its looks. The institution has appointed a gardener and formed a ‘Utility Services & College Campus’ Beautification Committee’ to conduct Green Audit of the campus and its facilities.
While designing the college building much care has been taken to ensure sufficient illumination during day time and cross ventilation. The institutional practice of minimal use of electricity is in vogue. The institution observes the ‘Save the Earth Day’.
Use of renewable energy:- No
Water harvesting – No.
Check dam Construction – No.
Efforts for Carbon neutrality-No
Plying of vehicles, scooters, motor-bikes, cars etc. are prohibited inside the campus. We encourage use of bi-cycles by the students and staff members. For carbon neutrality the College undertakes massive plantation works in and around the College.
Every year the College takes up plantation projects like Social Forestry, Avenue plantation, institutional gardening, etc from its own resources and from other sources. The volunteers-activists of different service units, like YRC-NSS, Wing play an active role in the Operation Green Haunt. At the time of arrival of monsoon, i.e. July 1st to July 7th the college observe Clean & Green Campus Week.
The institution strives for the holistic development of students and caters to their needs for progression in academic as well as in curricular and extracurricular activities such as sports, debate, quiz contests, cultural activities and others.
It also encourages them to have a feel of the external environment through study trips and visits to various institutions so that they know about the national and global demands. The faculty strives for excellence among students and plans strategies for the same.
Providing extra coaching for needy and weaker sections students beyond College hour to make them up to date with the course and other academic work. Remedial coaching, career counselling, group discussion, debate competitions are arranged
for quality improvement of respective group of students.
To maintain transparency in the admission process we adopt summarily the e admission procedure of Government of Odisha. No capitation fee, no donations, neither of any sort of extra money is being collected from the students. The admission subcommittee monitors the entire process very effectively.
Regular health check up camp is being organized for the students in collaboration with doctors of adjacent local government hospital-PHCs. Medical experts from outside are also invited for health awareness programmes organized by the College. We have initiated steps for providing emergency blood transfusion assurance to all the students and members of staff.
4. Format for Presentation of Best Practice
Title of the Practice
(The title should capture the keywords that describe the Practice.)
Educational Support System, comprises of different Projects and Programmes, like drcs, soft skill development programme, computer literacy, spoken english module –oral-trick, small but functional library, personality development programmes, mural lectures, career counselling, teaching-learning process, etc.
Health Care Facilities.
(Describe the aim of the practice followed by the institution. Mention the underlying principles or concepts in about 100 words.)
The Institution has carefully chalked out
A series of Projects and Programs in the dimension of Education, study and Research. To render Quality and Value based higher education at an affordable lower cost
With a human face, social commitment and intellectual pursuit, and
An integrated Healthcare activities/facilities, with an ambition to secure to all its human resources
Emancipation of body, mind and spirit, and
Development of personality, character and productivity,
Which are but the core-part of our Institutional Mission & Vision statements.
3. The Context
(Describe any particular contextual features or challenging issues that have had to be addressed in designing and implementing the Practice in about 150 words.)
The prevailing educational inequality in the remote and rural areas, its democratic pattern and demographic representation, the existence of large scale poverty, lack of parental care and supervision, and the need for the development of a meaningful and
purpose-based education system, lack of funds and infrastructure, etc. are some of the contextual features/challenging issues which had to be addressed while designing and implementing the practice(s) by the institution. So far the best practices are concerned the institutional approach is situation specific and how to well-knit different programmes to achieve the desired outcome in the sphere of education, study and research.
Since there is no single window solution of these plethora of problems the institution has carefully designed a change-in-structure approach and formulated an integrated programme to fight back and to ensure quality and value based higher education at an affordable lower cost with a human face, social commitment and intellectual pursuit.
FORMAT FOR PRESENTATION OF PRACTICE BEST PRACTICE – I
1. Title of the practice: Extension Activity for Students
2. Goal: Extension activities are made mandatory for the students to promote community linkage, social responsibility, interaction with the downtrodden people and to know their problems. Lastly to make efforts to solve or minimize their problems.
3. The Context: To day most of the students are ignorant about the problems of the society where they live. Most of the students are brought up in such an atmosphere, in which joint family systems have become a thing for the past. Hence it is the duty of the institution to inculcate the knowledge to them about the social life and its significance. Students must be sensitized about the society through their involvement in social activities.
4. The Practices: The units of NSS, NCC, Red Ribbon Club are working in the college. A large number of students involve in the activities of such voluntary organizations . Their involvement in different social activities like Field Work, Organizing Camps like AIDS awareness, De-addiction, Cancer awareness, Promoting and enrolling members for Blood Donation, Participation in awareness programme against Child labour, Drug addiction, use of Junk food, Participation in awareness programme for Gender Sensitization, drive against domestic violence, and other social evils, Serve the people affected by the natural calamities etc.
5. Evidence of Success: The students realized the challenges of the modern systems, where the social and economic conditions of the people, especially the downtrodden, are in wretched conditions. Students participation in various socio-cultural activities has greatly influenced them. They understands the significance of such activities in their social life.
6. Problems Encountered and Resource Required: Resource Mobilization,Non - cooperation of the rural people in extending social services For undertaking different programmes of NSS, financial requirements are needed, but due to financial constraints camp for social services in rural areas are not organised in regular basis. It should be a continuous process for improving the awareness programmes among the rural population.
BEST PRACTICE – II
1.Title of the practice: Career Counseling & Skill Development.
2. Goal : To prepare the students to be successful in job market to shape the students to achieve core competencies to face local demand and also global requirements. To Develop human resources for national growth to build the capacity of students in communication skills, group discussion as well as improve the presentation skills.
3. The Context: -The different employers or even the corporate world lament that majority of students who come from seeking job are not employable for the lack of skills. Students who are from rural background and the first generation learners are very weak in communication skill and general knowledge or about their career. Hence the college authority realizes this problems of the students and started to launch a Career Counselling and Placement cell in the College.
4. The Practices: - Considering the mediocre students in communication skills, college is planning to open an English Language Lab in the college. The regular training for students in English Language Lab will made a good impact. The Lab will be handled by the expert team with a view to strengthen the communication skill in English. The Career Counselling and the Placement cell have also made a tremendous impact on the career building of the students. The placement cell of the college arrange pre-placement training by conducting group discussion, mock-Interview, Aptitude test as well as counselling in logical reasoning.
5. Evidence of Success: An analysis of the verbal feedback obtained from the students and the guardians on the usefulness and relevance of the skill development through Career –Counselling and Placement Cell, shows that they appreciate this innovative system adopted in the college. The Placement cell is also very much optimistic with the performance of the students. Guardians and the students try to take admission in our college so that they may get such facility, which is being imparted in our college.
6. Problems Encountered and Resource Required: Most of the students belong to the first Generation learner, hence they have to face difficulty in grasping power, concentration and interest in such classes. Shortage of professionally trained teachers to handle spoken English improvement of the students. Financial Constraints, as no fund is earmarked for its development. Competent teachers, well prepared study materials, and to open language lab facility for successful implementation of this practice.
Aforementioned two best practices adopted in the college has contributed to the better academic and administrative functioning of the college. “THE EXTENSION ACTIVITY FOR STUDENTS” and “CAREER COUNSELING & SKILL DEVELOPMENT” are the most important practices to help for the quality enhancement and excellence of the college.
Name of the Principal : .Dr. Madhusudan Mahapatra.
Name of the Institution: Malkangiri College
Accredited Status: 1st Cycle
Fax: Website: 06861-230207
Not applicable as thecollegehasnot undergonetheaccreditationprocessbyNAAC.