Sub: Submission of Self Study Report of Malkangiri College, Malkangiri, Odisha
Ref: Your letter no NAAC/E & NER / JP/ ORCOGN22446/1st Cycle /2014 dated 20.11.2014 vide your Track ID no.: ORCOGN22446
We are pleased to submit the SSR of our Institution for the first cycle accreditation.
This is a collective effort of our team members for the preparation of SSR. We are expecting the “PEER TEAM” visit as follows.
July 08,09,10 or 29,30,31 or August 05,06,07 or 19,20,21- 2015.
Regarding the route chart to our campus, it is 645 k.m from the Bijupattnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar, 640 k.m form the Bhubaneswar Railway Station, 305 k.m form Vishakhapatana Airport and 250 k.m form Vizianagaram Railway Station., 125 k.m. from Koraput Railway station.
Kindly depute your esteemed team members to our Institution for assessment and obelised.
N.B- SSR was up-loaded to the website on dated .13.04.2015 which can be visited as www.malkangiricollege.org.in with the link of SSR.
Principal, Malkangiri College
Five SSR hard copies
One soft copy (CD)
UGC 2f letter
UGC 12b letter
UGC 12th plan development grant letter
UGC/IQAC grant letter
(Above mentioned enclosures will be send with hard copy of SSR) Thanking you.
CONTENT PAGE NO
History of the College: 03
Crest of the College 04
Principal’s Message 05
SWOC analysis of the College 06
Malkangiri embodies the spirit of two great personalities of India. First, Hindu mythology tells us of Ramachandra, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu in the tretaya era, once inhabiting in this place, perhaps the impact of its natural beauty was too powerful for him to ignore and he stayed here for a long time when he was in exile. Then, of course, this place was known as Malyabantagiri, which has changed to its present form, “Malkangiri” with the passage of time.
The second person who gave Malkangiri a place in Indian history, was Sahid Laxman Nayak the eminent freedom fighter of Odisha. His life, an uncommon example of courage, dedication to the cause of one’s motherland and sacrifice is a great source of inspiration to the people of the area, especially to the youth of the present generation.
Being situated in a remote corner of Odisha, Malkangiri remained an underdeveloped area, particularly from educational point of view, for many years after independence of our country. Even though it is the headquarters town of the Malkangiri District, it did not have any facilities for higher education. Sri Gangadhar Madhi was the first person who tried to bring this area at par with the other developed places of the state. In the year 1979 he started mobilising the interest and money of the local people to set up a college here. He was ably assisted in his endeavour by late B.S.N. Pattnaik, Sri P Ch Mahapatra, Sri Raghaba Padhi, Sri R.K.N.S. Burma, Sri P Ch Sahoo, Sri P Dora, Sri Jaya Das, Sri Satya Madala, Sri B.G. Rao and the local advocates. The business community, the common people and many other well-wishers have also contributed in every possible way for establishing the institution.
Finally the noble dream of all these people saw the light on 09.07.1979. The college started functioning from that date in the Govt. M.E. School, Malkangiri. After one year it was shifted to the Govt. Boys’ High School, Malkangiri. Meanwhile a building was constructed by the Joint efforts of Sri G Madhi, Sri C.C. Prusty, S.D.O., Malkangiri and Sri Ranjit Bhattacharjee on a plot of land allotted by the State Govt. in the year 1982. With completion of this building, the need for depending on other institutions to carry on normal activities of the college came to an end.
To cope with the growing requirements of the college, the College authorities with the assistance of District Administration, Hon’ble M.P., Hon’ble MLA and Govt. of Odisha have constructed some additional class rooms, office buildings, Hostels for Boys and Girls. Malkangiri College is the nodal college in the Malkangiri District Headquarters going to be the educational hub for the council examination in the entire Malkangiri District. The College provides educational facilities in the +2 and +3 level in the Humanities and Commerce streams with Honours facilities in Economics, Political Science, History, English and Accountancy in Commerce. It is the permanent degree college in the district.
The staff and students of Malkangiri College are ever grateful to the unending blessings of Late Gangadhar Madhi, Ex. MLA, Malkangiri for his noble efforts to build this College and make the students of this district enlightened and educated for all times to come. The dynamic efforts and contribution of the Ex-Collector, Malkangiri Sri Balwant Singh, IAS, Dr. M. Muthu Kumar and the present Collector & DM, Malkangiri Sri D. Prasanth Kumar Reddy, IAS have made this college a full fledged adult looking and ready for NAAC-Accreditation. The meritorious efforts of the present Principal Dr. Madhusudan Mahapatra to give the college a new face lift is truly commendable.
Besides that, Malkangiri College is the Examination Hub for CHSE Examination in the Malkangiri District. The Dept. of higher education (Govt. of Odisha) is pleased to relie on the credibilities and transparency in administration of the institution in entrusting the execution of deputing squad members to different colleges of the district for smooth conduct of the exams. It is also the College for the nodal squad in the District for council examination. In addition to that Malkangiri College is the nodal centre for the implementation of different schemes of Department of Higher Education, Govt. of Odisha and like RUSA, Self-Defence for girl students, Distribution of Free Lap Top to meritorious students in the CHSE Examination.
The Crest of the College
The Crest, in its four segments, symbolises the purpose of setting up the college and the environment in which it is situated. The book and the lamp are eternal symbols of learning and wisdom which the college aims to impart to its students. The water fall and the tribal dancer stand for the natural beauty surrounding the college and the native culture of the place respectively. Finally the Konark wheel, encircling these four segments represents all that is good and noble in the culture of Odisha.
Our motto above is a prayer
“Lead us from darkness to light.”
PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE Malkangiri College, Malkangiri, Odisha was established in the year 1979 by the sincere efforts of some political leaders, social workers, educationists and lovers of education. The college is situated beside the National Highway away from the township. The college started functioning initially with I.A class with a scanty finance. But, now it has blossomed as a full-fledged composite degree college with nodal status having pass & honours facility in Arts & Commerce stream. The college is now in its adult stage with all facilities & provisions to cater the all-round needs and requirements of the students.
Malkangiri College is headed by Dr. Madhusudan Mahapatra, Principal a renowned Educationist, Administrator, Lover of Students & Staff. The college runs with a passion of social service in mind and promise of quality education to the students of this districts and the nearby district and states as well through its experienced faculty members, well furnished class rooms, developed computer Lab, attractive seminar rooms, enlarged Library, Hostel facility of SC/ST students, Multi Gym, Clean & Green campus which is conducive for academic development.
The faculties render the message to the students, “Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve”. Awareness programmes, career counselling cell and elderly guidance of the faculties are moulding the students for competitive examinations and career building. The motto of the college is to build human values, sense of true citizenship and true education with the students. The NSS, Red Cross, NCC & IGNOU study centre (2155D) of the college are working sincerely to glorify the sense of service & tempo of nation building with the students. Most of the faculties are engaged in M.Phil, PhD. and other research activities. This will definitely help us to increase the strength of the college.
The college result is very much satisfactory and the students are actively participating in the co-curricular and extra-curricular activities under the patronise of the principal & Staff.
The focal point of the college education and Administration is students discipline and better performance along with all-round academic development of the students and staff. Armed with these resources we are inviting the NAAC peer team for Accreditation of our College. We are confident that for the mission, vision and motto of the college, co-operation of the alumni, achievement of the students and mentor roll of the teachers we will be known for quality and excellence in Higher Education.
I am very much grateful to the Management, Well Wishers, Alumni, Faculties, Stake Holders and the Berhampur University who have encouraged and supported me to undergo the NAAC Assessment & Accreditation.
Dr. Madhusudan Mahapatra, M.A, M. Phil,Ph.D.
SWOC ANALYSIS OF THE INSTITUTION
Malkangiri College situated at the district head-quarters is the oldest premier institution of the Tribal dominated district which was once far behind the development in the educational and economic front. The college was established in the year 1979 by the patronage of Some enlightened personalities of the district with a unique mission to educate the poor tribal aspirant children of the district with a view to bring them to the main stream of the progressive society. Since the inception of this educational institution of the only and unique kind is rendering the incessant service for the accomplishment of knowledge to the students of the district . Now we are proud to say that the institution has gloomed to a ful-fledged institution . The college is providing facilities of higher education to the primitive SC/ ST students which put an end to the racial discrimination in the society. It would have been a unfulfilled dream for the Tribals like BONDAS, KOYAS, DIDAI, etc. if such a Noble thought of opening this college would not involve in the mind of the Noble people.
The college, now has passed its infancy stage and is matured enough in understanding the academic need of the students of the district and generating the Scholars, who are able to compete with the other students of the state and inter-state.
1. The college is now imparting Honours teaching in different subjects like Economics, History , English, Political Science, Commerce in absence of which the students were to travel more than 100 K.M. to avail the teaching facilities in Hons. Subjects. Different faculities with experience and matured teaching staff is a boon to the students as some of our old students have shown their academic excellence and placed in the reputed universities as assistant proff. which definitely implies the standard of teaching in the college by the teachers. Further in the general subjects like Hist, Economics, Political Science, education, Sociology we have not lagged behind in regard to teaching education to the children. The students having pass subjects are also doing wonderful results at university levels and are able to compete with other students of the state.
2. If we go to decades back, the district was under the shadow of educational backwardness and the only college at the sub-divisional head-quarters provided the light of hope in the mind of the people of this area. It was the only educational institution in the district which was providing higher education to the students at Degree level.
3. The pour economically backward students of the district are provided with the Hostel facility at subsidised Hostel fee which is the lowest in the District. The aspirant students are availed of the opportunity to concentrate on their studies inside the campus under regular guidance of the teachers.
4. The girl students of the College are being able to avail the facility of in-campus boarding adjacent to the college very shortly as the construction of the building is going to be completed shortly.
5. The oldest College of the District is affiliated to Berhampur University and also to the UGC under 2f & 12(B).
6. One of the faculties of our college Dr. S.K. Dash, Lect-in- Sociology is a member of the Board of studies of Berhampur University.
7. The Senior Lect-in – Education Sri S.K. Nayak has rendered his noble services as chairman of the District Child Welfare Committee (CWC) who has proved his excellence in rendering his service for the welfare of the children belonging to the down trodden section of society as well as the orphans, neglected in the society. His consultancy, even after his tenure- ship is a big boost in this noble Endeavour.
8.We are proud that two of our teaching staff including the principal are having Ph. D. Degree & Two other staff have M. Phil Degree which paves a long way ahead in grooming academic excellence.
9. The College has three NSS Units (Two Boys’ Units & One Girls’ Unit) One YRC Unit, One NCC Unit & Red Ribbon Club to involve the students rendering their voluntary service for the society.
10. Some of the staff members have attended orientation & refresher courses as well as National & International Seminars & Workshops.
11. The College has sufficient no. of furniture & fixtures for the students & staff.
12. The College has well furnished administrative Block & Academic Block for smooth running of Administration as well as the academic activities.
13. “ The Library is the mirror of the institution “. Our College Library has sufficient no. of Books for the Hons. & General students. The required no. of Text Books , reference Books, Journals meet the need of the students & the faculty members.
14. “ Healthy Body creates Healthy mind”- The College focuses on importance to athletic excellence of the students. Keeping this in mind, the college provides Game facility to the students like carom , lodus, chess & also outdoor game facility like volley Ball & cricket.
15. We feel proud that two of the alumni namely Sri Siba Prasad Panda & Sri K. Manoranjan are qualified civil Service Exam & have been placed in high positions under Central Govt. Further Smt. Mitrushna Rout , the Ex- student of our college has ranked excellence in the Odisha Public Service Commission & working under Odisha Govt.
16. Almost all the teaching & non- teaching staff of the College are provided with residential quarters to stay at the Headquarters.
17. It is a glory for the institution that three scholars have been awarded Ph. D Degree under the Guidance of the principal Dr. M.S. Mahapatra.
18. The College Possesses a well equipped computer Lab with wi- fi facilities in the College. The ICT facility provided to the students acts a big boost for teaching learning process in the college.
19. The College always aims at improving the academic need of the students and hence a bit negligence in this regard is not unheeded by the institution. As everyone is aware that the teachers transferred to this college against vacant posts are reluctant to turn up due to inaccessibility and distant factor from the state Headquarters. Hence keeping in view of the students academic need , the college takes the financial burden in appointing the Contractual staff to over- come any academic crisis.
20. For the extracurricular activities like meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. the College has constructed a well – equipped, well- furnished conference Hall.
Since the inception of this institution it has been rendering its services to the fullest augmentation of its aims & objectives in collaboration with the District Administration & the Local intelligentsia along with the self –less services of the teaching & Non- teaching staff.
The oldest premier Institution in the remotest corner of the state is all set in fulfilling the needs / demands of the students in spite of some few weaknesses which renders some hurdles in the way of all-round development.
1) The staff members of the college have not published adequate no. of Books & Journals.
2) Lesser frequency of visits & interactions with local industries and corporate house.
3) Communicative skill of the students at entry level is not satisfactory.
4) Lack of open area (permanent field ) for the students for outdoor games like football & Cricket. The District Administration is requested to provide land for the purpose.
5) The College is unable to introduce self- financing courses like BBA, BCA, Journalism, Diploma in Hotel Management, Certificate Course in communicative English etc.
6) Improper Transport facility for this Day scholar students coming from the interior & remote pockets of the district hampers some times the normal class schedule of the college.
There is an oftquating proverb:- “Every dark cloud has a silver lining”. Inspite of some few weakness of the institution, it is trying its level best to provide the possible opportunities to the students. The perennial endeavour of this institution aims at building the career of the students nurturing them to bring them to the serial mainstream. The academic development as well as the “Character building “of the students are given the top priority by this Institution.
1) Most of the students of the District interested in higher education prefer Malkangiri college because of Honours Teaching facility, Hostel Facility and experienced faculty members.
2) The college is taking efforts for opening of More Honours Subjects which can encourage the SC/ST students of the District for academic excellence in Malkangiri College without going outside and taking much money burden.
3) Two of the staff members including the principal are having Ph.D Degree which promote research facility in the college & encourage the other staff members in house & out house for undergoing Ph.D activities.
4)Malkangiri College being the District Headquarters College situated in the heart of the District. Surrounded by a no. of Junior Colleges, Central School, IMST School, Deepti Convent, Navodaya Vidyalaya which play the role of feeding institutions of the College.
Can avail the opportunity in pursuit of higher Education.
5) The College has the IGNOU special study centre since 2003 which offers academic facility for those who are unable to avail institutional Education.
6)Malkangiri College being situated in the heart of the District is Conducting almost all the district level & state level entrance Examinations like OJE, OUAT, DET, POLICE, RDC etc.
7) Being the oldest college of the District . there is possibility of “take over” of this college by the state Govt.
8) The College provides remedial coaching for SC/ST students and career counseling to all students for better placement & employment opportunity.
9) The college has its own Gym facility for the students.
10) The District Administration relies on Malkangiri College & its Hostel making a venue for special drive employment training Camp for SC/ST students because of its well furnished SC/ST Hostels as well as the cordial cooperation of the college staff playing the role of resource person.
11) Being the oldest college, the staff members are experienced who are going to other colleges as subject experts at the time of interviews.
12) Being the headquarter college of the district the district administration prefers the services of the ideal college PET for development sports excellence of students of the District.
13) Malkangiri College being the oldest & nodal college there is every possibility of this college being an autonomous college in future.
1) Malkangiri being the Naxal infested district, most of the times LWE members observe Bandh and stirkes which cause poor turnout of the students in the college.
2) Malkangiri district being situated at the extremely end of the state about 700 K.M. far from the state Headquarters, the aided staff transfered from other colleges do not prefer to join. Similarly, long distance, semi-urban or rural background of the college location are the reason for reluctance of the qualified teaching members to join in this college.
3) Malkangiri district situated at a very long height from the sea level there is acute water crisis, which creates hurdle for garden & plantation in the college.
4) There is little scope for the students of the district aspiring for honours facility as there are two colleges of the District providing honours education in some limited subjects, there is no scope for PG education facility in the District which discourage poor SC/ST students for Higher education as education outside the district as available at Jeypore, Koraput & Berhampur is expensive and discourages because of distant factor.
5) The SC/ST students of this college are unable to exploit their sports and athletic talent and represent themselves in the state, national & international forums as the college has no regular play ground which limits to their better exposure.
6) Malkangiri District is very backward in industrial development that is why students after passing out from the college fail to avail proper placement facility in the secondary sector which sometimes discourage the students for pursuit of higher education.
7) Most of the students of Malkangiri College belong to the agrarian & poor families. The students engage themselves very often in their parental profession for their bread & butter and attend classes which is partly responsible for 1005% of attendance in the college. The poor attendance of the students discourage the teaching environment .
8) Though it is the district Headquarters college, some desirous students in Arts & Com stream are deprived of Hons. facilities in some subjects which sometimes diverts the local them to other distant colleges for higher education.
9) Though the Headquarters College of the district the students aspiring for Govt. facility are harassed and limit their scope of higher education. as till date it is under the private management and wrapped in the red tapism to be declared as a Govt. college.