Inspect lunch boxes to ensure students don’t eat junk: CBSE
In a latest circular, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has asked all the schools affiliated to it to ensure that food items like chips, ready-to-eat noodles etc. are not available at canteens and within 200 meters of the school premises.
“The schools can also inspect the lunch boxes of students to ensure they do not indulge in unhealthy food,” said the CBSE, which had last issued an advisory on junk food to schools in 2008.
The board has mentioned that consumption of food high in fat, salt and sugar (HFSS) has been found to be associated with many diseases including type II diabetes, hypertension among others.
The circular has also directed the schools to constitute School Canteen Management Committee comprising up to 10 members, including teachers, parents, students and school canteen operators, to implement the guidelines to ensure safe food in schools.
Refer ring to a report by the women and child development (WCD) ministry, CBSE secretary said that the report gives insights into how the endemic problem of junk food consumption can be controlled in schools.
As of now, schools have also been urged to take necessary steps in their capacity to ensure non-availability of HFSS food in schools and nearby places, said a circular issued by CBSE Secretary Joseph Emmanuel.
The circular also asked the schools to ensure they promote physical activities for students up to Class X every day and rope in a nutritionist to guide students on life style modifications, including yoga and healthy eating habits.
Besides, the board also asked the schools to not only track the height, weight and Body Mass Index (BMI) of all the students but also counsel them and parents about good eating habits during parent-teacher meetings.
In addition, the circular has suggested that awareness events such as celebration of Nutrition Week and other such events should be organised throughout the year by the schools.
ASIAN AGE, JAN 8, 2016
‘Wards of Group B, C officers may get quota in Sanskriti’
The Centre on Thursday told the Supreme Court that wards of government employees, other than Group-A Central government officials, can also be provided admission under 60 per cent quota earlier meant only for kids of this section in the prestigious Sanskriti School.
“The Union of India had already filed an affidavit in the Delhi high court in which we said that the school has been advised to grant reservation in admissions to the wards of Group B and C employees as well,” attorney-general Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for the Centre, told the bench headed by Justice A.R. Dave, which fixed the matter for passing an interim order on January 11.
The government and the school administration had sought an interim order allowing the institution to continue with the admission process under the old scheme till the matter was finally decided by the apex court.
They said the nursery admission process under the local laws have begun on January 1 and the school was already behind schedule.
They had challenged the Delhi high court decision to set aside the 60 per cent quota for wards of group-A government officials, who are in the highest class of government servants, in the prestigious school.
Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, who is assisting the court as an amicus curiae, said he was personally not in favour of granting 60 per cent reservation to wards of Group-A Central government officials, but there should be some avenues for the wards of other officers also who get transferred often to various places or sent to offshore assignments.
“This is a complex issue where you cannot find a solution in a day or two. May be a statutory provision is needed,” Mr Sibal said, adding that a school run by a society may not grant 60 per cent reservation and “this is the heart of the problem”.
Mr Rohatgi then said that certain schools like KVS, Sainik Schools gave reservation to the wards of government employees and armed forces personnel besides not being backed by specific statutory provisions.
Meanwhile, one Dheeraj Singh, father of an admission seeker, moved a plea through lawyer Akhil Sachar for being made a party in the case, alleging the high court had already quashed a 2013 notification granting special status to the school and the order had remained unchallenged.
HINDUSTAN TIMES, JAN 11, 2016
New test for entry to engineering to be first conducted this October
Neelam Pandey Learning by rote or attending coaching classes will no longer guarantee admission to popular and premier engineering institutions in the country.
The Union human resource development (HRD) ministry will soon set up a National Authority for Testing (NAT) to conduct a new entrance examination — starting this October — that will replace the two-tier joint entrance examination (JEE) main and advanced tests for entry into engineering colleges.
The JEE is a national common entrance examination conducted to provide admissions to several engineering courses.
The focus now will be to standardise the test so that it can’t be cracked by coaching institutes or “teaching shops” and learning by rote — which bring down the standard because such practices fail to teach analytical and logical skills needed for scientific research.
The new system will test the logical and analytical abilities of students rather than knowledge on subjects. The first such test from October will screen students aspiring for admission to the 2017 session, sources said.
Under the new system, students will be able to write the test online four times a year. About 400,000 students will then be shortlisted for the joint entrance examination (JEE), which will follow the same pattern of the current advanced test and examine their knowledge of physics, chemistry and mathematics. The score will be used for admission to IITs and NITs.
The NAT will be constituted after approval from the Union cabinet and registered as an independent society under the HRD ministry.
The concept was given inprinciple approval by the ministry at a meeting last week, where contours of the authority were discussed.
“The NAT is a general aptitude score like SAT and will be used for JEE,” said a senior official.
HINDU, JAN 11, 2016