Grand Lodge of New York Masonic Lodge Histories Lodge Nos. 201-230


Geneseo, 21 May 1917 - Services in memory of William A. BRODIE



Download 8.67 Mb.
Page11/27
Date30.04.2018
Size8.67 Mb.
#42710
1   ...   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   ...   27
Geneseo, 21 May 1917 - Services in memory of William A. BRODIE, who died a little over a week ago, were held last evening in the Presbyterian Church, of this village, and were very largely attended, many being present from surrounding towns. The local Masonic lodge and the members of the BRODIE Bible class attended the services in a body. Tributes were paid to the memory of Mr. BRODIE by the following who spoke on the various sides of the life of their departed friend and brother: William A. STEVENS, "The Church," Austin W. ERWIN, "The Sunday-School," Captain Dallas C. NEWTON, "The Lodge," Richard S. FOLTS, "The Grand Lodge," Dr. James V. STURGES, "The Normal School," E. E. DOTY, "The Village."

-----


http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=doty-alvah&id=I15
Lockwood Richard Doty b. 2 Dec 1858 in Albany, NY; d. 16 Dec 1937 in Rochester, Monroe, NY; son of Lockwood Lyon Doty [b. 15 May 1827 in Groveland, Livingston, NY] and Sarah H. Abell [b. 19 Mar 1829 in Esperance, NY. He was a direct descendant of Edwin Doty who came to this country on the Mayflower and was one of the original signers of the compact. His father, Lockwood Lyon Doty, was Private Secretary of Governor Jacob Morgan {and GM. GL NY], Chief of Bureau of Military Statistics, and, at the time of his death, Pension Agent at New York City.

-----


Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Obituary 17 Dec 1937 Rochester, Monroe county, New York

DEATH CLAIMS FORMER JUDGE IN LIVINGSTON
Lockwood R. Doty,
Geneseo -- Funeral services for Judge Lockwood Richard Doty, 79, former Livingston County judge who died early yesterday morning in Rochester General Hospital following a brief illness, will be conducted at 2 p.m. tomorrow in St. Michael's Episcopal Church here by Rev. J. W. Denness Cooper, rector and Dean of the Geneseo Valley Deanery. The body will lie in state in the church from noon Saturday until 2 p.m. Burial will be in the family plot in Temple Hill Cemetery, here.
Representatives of Livingston County Bar Association, Geneseo State Normal School, Livingston County Historical Association, Geneseo Valley National Bank and Trust Company, Livingston County Officials' Association and the Masonic Lodge are expected to be included among the honorary bearers.
Only last week Judge Doty, secretary of the Board of Visitors of Geneseo Normal School for many years, was an honorary bearer at the funeral of Dr. Winfield A. Holcomb, former principal of that institution. Two weeks previously Dr. Holcomb and Judge Doty appeared before the Livingston County Board of Supervisors in the interest of the county historical society of which both had been president and Judge Doty had been one of the founders.
He came from a pioneer family which settled here in the Valley in 1799. He was born in Albany Dec. 2, 1858, while his father, Lockwood Lyon Doty held a political position there. It was his father who wrote the first histories of Livingston County * to which Judge Doty wrote a later edition in 1925.
Elected county judge in 1914, Judge Doty served 14 years, retiring in 1928. Prior to that he had served on the board of supervisors. His interest in historical subjects lead him to urge the organization of the Geneseo Museum. He was also a member of the New York State and Rochester historical associations.

He also wrote “Boyd and Parker, Heroes of the American Revolution: an account of the dedication, Sept. 17, 1927 at Cuylerville, N.Y., of a shrine in memory of [Bro.] Thomas Boyd and Michael Parker, scouts of the Sullivan expedition,” Livingston County Historical Society, 1928, 119 pages.

He was graduated from Columbia Law School in 1880 and admitted tot he bar the same year, and served as a member of the 1894 Constitutional Convention. He married ca 1887, Jennie A. West, b. Mar 1864.

Children:



  1. Mary b. Dec 1888 in New York

  2. Lockwood b. Dec 1892 in New York

  3. Louise b. Mar 1896 in New York

* His father’s History of Livingston County may be on line at Google Books at http://books.google.com/books?id=zKkWAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22lockwood+lyon+doty%22&hl=en&ei=0oaoTuPuEOPv0gGf7PiDDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
Franklin Lodge No. 216, Westville, Franklin County and Washington Heights, New York City

Warrant: The warrant in possession of the Lodge is dated 7 Jun 1851.

The name and number of the Lodge has never been changed [as of 1910]

Minutes: Not intact. All records previous to 1899 are missing.

There are no papers on file in the office of the Grand Secretary relating to the birth or organization of Franklin Lodge, and the loss of its early records, which were destroyed by fire, obscure its early life. Hence there is but little known, save tradition, to throw any light upon its affairs covering a period of nearly fifty years.

On 4 Jun 1851 the Committee of Warrants reported in favor of granting a warrant to Franklin Lodge, and on 7 Jun a warrant was issued which named as officers:

Ebenezer Man, Master

James C. Spencer, SW

John Barr, JW

The Lodge was that time located at Westville, NY.

The first returns made by the Lodge five the following as

Charter Members



Barr, John

Berry, Philemon, Jr.

Briggs, Joseph

Coggen, Samuel

Dailey, Peter

Hanna, John

Hanna, William

Johnson, Charles

Man, Ebenezer

McDonald, Allen

Miller, Moses

Miller, Samuel

Morey, Richard E.

Phillips, James S.

Potter, Henry B.

Prindel, William W.



Spencer, James C.

Whitney, Edward S.

Wiley, Nelson

Wolfe, Perrit B.


Upon the returns is a request that the Grand Master appoint W.’. Josiah F. Saunders, Master of North Star Lodge 107, to constitute the Lodge and install the officers.

Officers per 1855 Registry:

James S. Philips, Master

Samuel Man, SW

Warren S. Manning, JW

Stephen V. R. Tuthill, Secretary.

In Oct 1859 the Master of the Lodge, Samuel Man, wrote the Grand Secretary, asking him to obtain permission “to hold semi-monthly meetings at a place five miles from their present place of meeting.” This request was in due time referred to the Committee of Warrants, and at a session of the Grand Lodge, held 8 Jun 1860, the Committee made a report which contained the following relating to this request:

“On the application of Franklin Lodge No. 216 to hold ‘one-half’ of their communications each at the villages of Westville and Trout River, Franklin County, the Committee report favorably.”

The report was immediately adopted by the Grand Lodge. For several years after its organization the Lodge flourished and increased in numerical strength. In 1870 it had 71 members, but for some unexplained reason from this time it began to decline.

In 1801 Albon and Alric Man, brothers, of Vergennes, VT, came to "spy out the land " and estimate its opportunities and advantages. The Man family had been lumbermen and iron manufacturers in Connecticut and Vermont for two generations, and the timber and water powers which Albon and Alric found here naturally appealed strongly to them. In 1802 they accordingly returned with their families, and were accompanied by a considerable colony of friends and kinsmen

Westville was formed from Constable in 1829, and was so called from the fact that it was the west half of what remained of the parent town after Fort Covington had been set off therefrom. For many years the northern of the two hamlets in Westville was known as West Constable, but is now generally called Westville Corners. The other is Westville Center.

The town had a population of just about 600 when erected, but having always lacked transportation facilities, and its industries having dwindled with the collapse of the iron works and with the disappearance of its forests, its growth was slow even during the period in which there was growth at all, while from 1875 to 1900 the trend was steadily in the contrary direction. In 1875 the maximum was reached, the census of that year having given it a population of 1,721, which fell exactly 600 in the then ensuing 25 years — five-sixths of which loss occurred between 1875 and 1890.

The oldest hotel in Westville dates back to 1828 or earlier, and used to be known as "the plastered tavern house." One of the landlords of this ‘hotel’ was Philemon Berry before 1840, and continued for a good many years. He died 12 Feb 1862 in his 71 year and is buried in Briggs Street Cemetery, Westville, NY.

Joseph Briggs died 4 Jul 1851, aged 56 years and is buried in Briggs Street Cemetery, Westville, NY, with a Masonic Square & Compasses with letter G on his tombstone.

Another ‘hotel’ was bought in 1851 by Captain Nelson Wiley, and kept by him until about 1868. After that, while making no pretension to being a hotel, it did nevertheless accommodate guests occasionally for a number of years. Most of the hotel buildings and the sheds have been torn down, though a section of the later stood, and was occupied by Mrs. Wiley as a residence. John Nelson Wiley was b. 13 Nov 1812; d. 28 Nov 1895; m. Mary Ann HONSINGER, b. 8 Sep 1829; d. 9 Mar 1920. Buried in Briggs Street Cemetery, Westville, NY, with a Masonic Square & Compasses with letter G on his tombstone.



Samuel Coggin was born in Goffstown, NH, 10 Apr 1795. He was a lineal descendant of John Coggin, who came from Staffordshire, Eng., and kept the first store opened in Boston, in 1646. Samuel Coggin was an enterprising man. He built the first starch-factory in Westville, which he conducted up to the time of his death. He was instrumental in the introduction of hops into Franklin County, which later became one of the leading agricultural products. He was also extensively engaged in farming and lumbering. He married Lydia Chamberlain by who they had a daughter Elvina Elizabeth Coggin, 20 Oct 1822. Elvina married 3 Oct 1844 Joseph P. Hadley. He died 10 Mar 1876, aged eighty years.

The State Census says Samuel Man died in Westville, NY, 13 Apr 1875, age 74 yrs.? He is buried there in Pine Grove Cemetery.



John L. Rowley 1827 – 1903; his wife Matilda Orton 1832 – 1912; both buried in Coal Hill Cemetery, Westville, NY.

-----


In 1880 the Lodge had but 29 members, and it 1890 it had 18 names upon its roll of membership. The loss to membership continued until 1899, when but 8 faithful ones remained to bear the burden of maintaining the Lodge. While unwilling to surrender the warrant they saw little hope for under existing circumstances, and finally decided to accept the inevitable, when unlooked for help same to their rescue from an unexpected source. True it necessitated a radical change in location, but it saved the warrant, and they rejoiced accordingly.

About this time a number of Masons living in the vicinity of Washington Heights, New York City, had in contemplation the advisability of organizing a Lodge to be located near their homes [and hopefully one with the lowest Lodge Number available at that time]. Their attention was called to the unfortunate condition which existed in Franklin Lodge, and it was suggested that they affiliate with that Lodge and take the necessary legal measures to secure its removal to New York City.

This course was pursued and the following brethren affiliated with the Lodge:


Balmford, Thomas

Balmford, Joseph

Fulton, John

Gillies, Wright

Granger, Frederick L.

Irwin, Richard T.

Lyon, Palmer H.

Winters, Robert C.



In due time a petition was presented to the Grand Lodge asking for its removal to New York City, and on 7 Jun 1899 the Committee on Warrants made a report which contained the following relating to this petition:

“In the matter of the petition of Franklin Lodge No. 216 for permission to change its location to Washington Heights.

“It appearing that such change would be of benefit to the Lodge and tend to increase its membership, your Committee recommends that the petition be granted.”

The recommendation was adopted, and on 9 Jun M.’.W.’. Wright D. Pownall, Grand Master, issued a dispensation to Thomas Balmford authorizing him to preside over the Lodge as Master until the annual meeting in December.

On of the conditions of this removal of the Lodge was that the eight faithful members who had clung with such tenacity and had made so many sacrifices to preserve its warrant should be made Life Members.

This agreement was consummated, and upon the register of the Lodge may be found the following names of these loyal and devoted Masons as . . .

Life Members


Rowley, John L.

Hanna, John L.

Rowley, Edward F.

Amlot, William P.

Williams, George H.

Stewart, Amherst T.

Grant, John C.

Wiley, Simeon H.


The first meeting place in New York was on the corner of Amsterdam Avenue and 156th Street, where it held its first meeting after its removal, 12 Jun 1899. It remained there until Sep 1901 when it moved into its present quarters, corner of Amsterdam Avenue and 160th Street.

The change in location has greatly benefitted the Lodge. It has prospered and grown until its had become one of the most prominent Lodges in the Metropolitan District. On 31 Dec 1909 it had 236 members.

R.’.W.’. Thomas Balmford, who was the leading spirit in the movement which brought about the removal of the Lodge, was District Deputy Grand Master of the Fifth Masonic District in 1904.

W.’. Henry V. Steers, who was Master in 1909, was for several years an Inspector of Police. Although almost four-score years of age he is still an active and regular attendant at Lodge.

Masters


1851 Ebenezer Man(n)

1852 No returns

1853 James S. Phillips

1854 James S. Phillips

1855 James S. Phillips

1856 Samuel Man

1857 James S. Phillips

1858 Samuel Man

1859 Samuel Man

1860 Sewall Gleason

1861 William C. Gleason

1862 William C. Gleason

1863 William C. Gleason

1864 William C. Gleason

1865 John Ross

1866 John Ross

1867 John Ross

1868 Samuel Man

1869 John L. Rowley

1870 John L. Rowley

1871 John L. Rowley

1872 Edward A. Buel

1873 John L. Rowley

1874 Samuel McElwaine

1875 Edward A. Buel

1876 Guy W. Hollister

1877 Guy W. Hollister

1878 Guy W. Hollister

1879 Guy W. Hollister

1880 Edward A. Buel

1881 No returns

1882 Edward A. Buel

1883 Guy W. Hollister

1884 Guy W. Hollister

1885 John L. Rowley

1886 John L. Rowley

1887 John L. Rowley

1888 Guy W. Hollister

1889 Guy W. Hollister

1890 Guy W. Hollister

1891 Guy W. Hollister

1892 John L. Rowley

1893 John L. Rowley

1894 John L. Rowley

1895 John L. Rowley

1896 John L. Rowley

1897 John L. Rowley

1898 John L. Rowley

1899 John L. Rowley

Change of Location

1900 Thomas Blamford

1901 Thomas Blamford

1902 William H. Page

1903 William H. Page

1904 Joseph Blamford

1905 J. Oscar Goetz

1906 Levi S. Stockwell

1907 Ralph Gillette

1908 Charles M. Hoblitzell

1909 Henry V. Steers



1910 Samuel C. Carter


1   ...   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   ...   27




The database is protected by copyright ©sckool.org 2022
send message

    Main page