Nomination form contains 40 photos of the Georgetown-Silver Plume area, the Alpine Valley, Georgetown Loop and I-70.
The depot constructed in 1884 as the terminal point of the CO Central Railroad route from Denver to the Clear Creek mining region. It has since been restored and is part of the Silver Plume train station complex.
The Everett and Lebanon Mine Tunnels National Register nomination form contains, 2 topographical maps and a diagram indicating the drifts, shafts and crosscuts of the two mines.
Construction began in 1870; the house was acquired by B.F. Potter in 1891, who added the tower and decorative elements to the facade. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Maxwell purchased the house in 1891.
Map showing the counties of Colorado and which are considered to have mining stakes.
Photo taken by John Vachon in May 1942 is one of a series of photos taken in Georgetown.
The historic district nomination form contains not only geographic descriptions of the region but a comparison and history of two very different towns in the Alpine Valley. Information about architecture, economics and social class are included
The Silver Plume Depot is a reminder of the excitement and activity that characterized the Clear Creek Mining District in the 19th century.
Constructed of wood, the freight door is visible at the far end of the structure. A bay-type widow is located between the freight door and the entrance.
The Clear Creek Mining District began due to gold strikes. By about 1865 silver became the predominant ore. The mines led in silver-lead production from 1872 to 1894, a year after the collapse of the silver market.
By 1901 both mines were considered “idle” properties by mining directories.
The eclectic style includes a French mansard roof on the left of the facade, Italianate windows, Greek Revival pediments, and Queen Anne patterned shingles. A wood and metal fence is in front of the house, with a hedge, trees. Leavenworth Mountain is visible behind the house.
Relief shown by hachures (Parallel lines used in the hill-shading on maps, their closeness indicates the steepness of the gradient.) c. 1862.
This site also contains Sanborn Fire Insurance maps of the Georgetown area in 1886. These maps illustrate the building materials used in the town. They are wonderfully detailed and contain a wealth of information about Georgetown’s built environment.