For the Future!
Navigate this page:
Steps in writinG an essay
THE ASSESSMENT TASK
For the Future!
In English in year 10,
and in VCE
,, you will need to write essays.
These are usually text responses.
We are going to go through the basics of TEEL in this PPT. Note that TEEL is also beneficial for persuasive writing.
Easy as 1, 2, 3
Read the essay question carefully and make sure you understand it.
Pick out the KEY WORDS in the essay question.
Think about whether you agree or disagree with the question – form a point of view, which you will write about in the essay.
Make a plan. What events and examples in the text/or what arguments can you discuss?
List them in dot points.
6. Some of these dot points will then become a paragraph.
7. Begin writing your first draft.
8. If time allows, edit your work – get a friend or teacher to check for mistakes and make improvements.
9. Write a final copy if drafting was permitted.
Steps in writinG an essay:
4. Final Copy
(background info, state your point of view)
(The paragraphs – what is the acronym again?
Explain your understanding of the question
Introduce your argument
your point of view
Provide background information
Don’t use detailed examples
key point for each paragraph
Use TEEL for each paragraph
– Use a topic sentence at the start of a paragraph to make it clear to readers what the paragraph is about
– Provide details of events/arguments using “quotes” or evidence from the text/issue
which supports your point
– In your own words explain why the quote/evidence/argument is important to the point you are trying to make
– Make a link to the next paragraph so that it flows well and summarise the main idea of the paragraph
Restate your point of view
Restate in different words
what your main ideas were
Think carefully about your final sentence – end strongly
Don’t introduce any new ideas
Try to leave the reader with something to think about!
Have you included all of the relevant points and evidence?
Have you discussed the examples that you have used?
Did you use the TEEL format?
Have you left the reader with something to think about?
Write a TEEL response at least 500 words long on this below:
“Hatred is the root of all evil.”
What to incluDE?
A thesis statement (ANSWER to the QUESTION)
Introduce your texts (at least 3)
Lead into body (mention main points)
At least three points/arguments
Expand on this in your own words
Explain (THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT PART)
Final – Link
Summarize main points
Evaluate – which is most effective/accurate portrayal and why?
ENH -> Essay Planning Template introduction!
ENH -> Two of us: Ahmad and Waleed Aly on growing up in Australia
ENH -> Year 9 English Persuasive Writing Practice Topic Statements
ENH -> Apart from remembering how to structure your history essay, here are some other important tips to remember
StudentPublic -> Ceramics Year 9 Design Technology and Creative Arts (Visual Arts) Hand-building Vessel
Share with your friends:
The database is protected by copyright ©sckool.org 2020
reader with something
essay question carefully