ESSAY WRITING Essayson Advantages and Disadvantages I. Topic Sentences Task 1 Read the following essay about living abroad and fill in the topic sentences given below
a) One of the main advantages of living in a foreign country is that people can enjoy better financial opportunities.
b) To sum up, even though living in a strange place may be hard at first, in time one can adjust to it.
c) On the other hand, it may be difficult for people to adapt to their new surroundings.
d) As we know, today there are about six billion people in the world.
Advantages and disadvantages of living abroad 1 ________________________All of them live in different countries and have diverse cultures. Some countries have become well developed, while others haven’t as yet. For this reason, some people want to go to well-developed foreign countries to live more comfortably and earn more money. Living in a foreign country has many advantages, but it also has some disadvantages.
2 ________________________For example, they may get a good job and a high salary so they can buy what they want and have a better lifestyle. For example, they may benefit from well-developed education and health systems. Moreover, one is given the chance to learn and become fluent in another language through everyday use. For instance, people can participate in lots of social activities thus improving their communicative skills. Finally, they become more independent by having to deal with difficult situations on their own.
3. ________________________If they live alone, they miss their families and countries. Sometimes they may feel isolated, frustrated, and lonely. In addition, if someone can’t speak the language yet, he or she may face communication problems. What is more, there is discrimination in some countries. Foreigners aren’t easily accepted in these places.
4. ________________________In my opinion, if a person has an opportunity to go to a well-developed foreign country, he or she should benefit from this opportunity for his or her future.
Look at the outline of the essay you have just read. The arguments in the two paragraphs have been messed up. Put them in the right order.
Introduction – people choose where to live; living abroad has advantages and disadvantages
Paragraph I – Advantages
Argument 1 - better financial opportunities; example – jobs, education and health care
Argument 2 - foreign language problems; example – difficult to communicate
Argument 3 – discrimination; example - foreigners not easily accepted
Advantages and Disadvantages of Living in the Country Living in the country is often the secret dream of certain city-dwellers. ………..(1), in reality it has its advantages and disadvantages.
There are many advantages to living in the country. …………..(2), one is much closer to nature and can enjoy more peace and quiet. ……………(3), life in the country is much slower and people tend to be more open and friendly. A further advantage is that there is much less traffic, and as a result it is a much safer place to bring up children.
……………..(4), there are certain drawbacks to life outside the city. ……………….(5), because there are fewer people, one has a smaller number of friends. …………..(6), entertainment, particularly in the evening, is difficult to find. Furthermore, the fact that there are fewer shops and services often means that there are fewer employment opportunities. ………….(7), one may have to travel long distances to work elsewhere, and this can be extremely expensive.
…………(8), it can be seen that the country is more suitable for some than others. ………(9), it is often the best place for those who are retired or who have young children. ………….(10), young, single people who are following a career and who want some excitement are better provided for by life in the city.
Comment on the essay, answering the questions below. Compare your answers with the answers of your colleagues.
1. Does the essay include all the points asked for in the question?
2. Does each paragraph have one clear topic?
3. Does each paragraph have a clear topic sentence (TS)?
4. Does the writer use linking words and phrases to make the meaning clear?
5. Does the introduction give the reader an overall idea of the essay?
6. Does the conclusion summarise the whole essay and make a personal comment?
Write a brief summary of each paragraph in the spaces below: Introduction:
Paragraph I: Topic Sentence:
Paragraph II: Topic Sentence:
Using the ideas below write an outline of an essay titled Advantages and Disadvantages of Mass Tourism