Complete your grammar review worksheet on your desk. This worksheet WILL count as a quiz grade so make sure you answer all questions.
You are allowed to use your notes to answer these questions.
What’s on the agenda?
How does procrastination hinder your writing? (Spongebob)
Parallelism in your thesis
Writing is a journey…continued
A run-on sentence occurs when two or more independent clauses are combined without correct punctuation.
Independent clause: a complete, simple sentence, meaning that it contains a subject, a verb, and a complete thought.
Let’s practice correcting a Run-on sentence: The grocery store was really packed with people there must have been a big sale today.
There are two ways to correct this run-on.
1. The grocery store was really packed with people. There must have been a big sale today.
2. The grocery store was really packed with people, so there must have been a big sale today.
What are Fragments? (Think about it as something being left out)
Sentences are considered fragments when they are missing either a subject or a verb.
No Subject: Went to the store to buy brownie mix. Added Subject:My dad went to the store to buy brownie mix.
No Verb: Brownie mix at the store expensive. Added Verb: Brownie mix at the store was expensive.
Incomplete: The variety of yummy cake mixes. Complete: The variety of yummy cake mixes convinced him that he’d rather bake a cake than brownies tonight.
Procrastination ft. Spongebob
How does procrastination hinder the writing process?
What are some ways to avoid procrastination?
PARALLELISM IN YOUR THESIS STATEMENT
Writing is a journey: what’s the next step?
(Topic sentence) Slave spirituals often had hidden double meanings.
2. (Explanation of topic sentence) On one level, spirituals referenced heaven, Jesus, and the soul, but on another level, the songs spoke about slave resistance.
3. (Textual evidence/examples)For example, according to Frederick Douglass, the song “O Canaan, Sweet Canaan” spoke of slaves’ longing for heaven, but it also expressed their desire to escape to the North. Careful listeners heard this second meaning in the following lyrics: “I don’t expect to stay / Much longer here. / Run to Jesus, shun the danger. / I don’t expect to stay.”
4. (Why is this example relevant)? When slaves sang this song, they could have been speaking of their departure from this life and their arrival in heaven; however, they also could have been describing their plans to leave the South and run, not to Jesus, but to the North. Slaves even used songs like “Steal Away to Jesus (at midnight)” to announce to other slaves the time and place of secret, forbidden meetings.
5. What whites heard as merely spiritual songs, slaves discerned as detailed messages. The hidden meanings in spirituals allowed slaves to sing what they could not say.
YOU TRY IT, START WRITING YOUR BODY PARAGRAPHS USING THE FIVE STEPS.
Starter: September 27, 2016 Mark complete sentences with an S, for sentences with fragments or run-ons correct the sentence accordingly.
The man that I saw yesterday.
He is not an exceptional student, he is only average.
To know everything is quite impossible.
Because I have no time.
I was afraid to sit with the girl who had braces because she spits when she eats her food and she doesn’t know how to cover her mouth so I sit alone at lunch.
Having finished her dinner, Joy sat down to an evening of television.
America, the greatest country in the world.
High grades do not come easily but, they are earned by hard work and perseverance.