LENGTH: 1250 - 1500 words (five to six double-spaced typed pages)
TYPEFACE: Times New Roman.
TYPE SIZE: Twelve-point type
SPACING: Double space between lines of type; 1.5 inch margins on all four edges of the text.
COVER PAGE: Follow format given in Figure A.1. “Title page for a class paper” on page 378 of
Write, and present, on one of the following topics or another topic of your choosing.
If you choose your own topic you must get my approval no later than the end of the school day on
FRIDAY 11 APRIL 2014.
1. Jeremy Bentham and the Philosophy of Utilitarianism.
2. The Crimean War.
3. The Terror in the French Revolution.
4. Baron Haussmann and the Redevelopment of Paris.
5. The Franco-Prussian War.
6. The Rise and Fall of Napoleon Bonaparte.
7. General Gordon, the Islamic Revolt in the Sudan, the Siege of Khartoum.
8. William Morris and the Arts and Crafts Movement.
9. The South African War (The Boer War 1899-1902)
10. The Russo-Japanese War and the Russian Revolution of 1905.
11. The Crises of Fashoda and Agadir.
12. Events Leading to the Outbreak of War in August 1914.
13. The Schlieffen Plan and the Battle of the Marne 1914.
14. Von Hindenburg and the Battle of Tannenberg 1914.
15. The Battle of Neuve Chappelle and the "Shell Crisis".
16. The German Attack on Verdun.
17. The Battle of the Somme 1916.
18. The Battle of Arras 1917.
19. The Battle of Passchendaele 1917.
20. The Ludendorff Offensive (Kaiserschlacht) March-July 1918.
21. The Russian Revolution and the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk.
22. The Allied Offensive August-November 1918.
23. Allenby, Lawrence, the Sykes-Picot Agreement, the Balfour Declaration and the Arab Revolt Against the Turks.
24. The Treaty of Versailles 1919.
25. The Chanak Crisis
26. The Washington Naval Treaties.
27. The Battle of Taranto Bay and Pearl Harbor.
28. The Evolution of the Blitzkrieg.
29. Normandy Invasion: June 1944
30. Wannsee Conference and the Holocaust
31. The Battle of Britain
32. The Battle for Berlin, 1945