Directions: Cross out the sentence below that does not belong in the paragraph. Remember, all the sentences in a paragraph must relate to the main idea.
There are many types of animals in the forest. If you are very quiet in the morning, you may see a deer. Squirrels are running about all day long. Raccoons are the thieves of the forest, collecting bits of shiny metal to take home. My poodle's name is Pierre. My favorite forest animal is a rabbit, except when he is in my garden.
One of the sentences in a paragraph gives the main idea of the paragraph. This sentence is called a topic sentence. The topic sentence is usually the first sentence in a paragraph. It tells the reader (and the writer) what the paragraph is going to be about.
Directions: Circle the topic sentence in this paragraph.
Trees give us many things. They shade us on hot days. Their wood helps to build our homes. Their leaves give oxygen to the air to help us breathe. They are beautiful to look at, too.
Directions:Create a topic sentence for each main idea below. The first one is done for you.
1. Dancing: Dancing is a great way to exercise!
2. A dictionary:
3. Tennis shoes:
4. A zebra:
5. Bubble gum:
7. Your grandmother or grandfather:
When you write a paragraph, all ideas in the paragraph must be related to the topic sentence.
Directions: Cross out the idea in each list that is not related to the main idea. The main idea is underlined. Then write an interesting topic sentence for each idea list.
1. vacation: beach – mountains – Hawaii – pencil sharpener – amusement park
2. training for athletes: enough sleep – practice – proper food – exercise – playing cards
3. ways to earn money: mow lawns – deliver papers – baby-sit – wash cars – borrow money from a friend
4. what to do when you are sick: jog ten miles – read – sleep – listen to music – write a letter
5. getting ready for school: eat breakfast – comb hair – dress – go back to bed – find school books
The main idea for every paragraph should be in the topic sentence. A good topic sentence will make a good foundation to build a paragraph on.