A Separate Peace Discussion Leader Assignment Our literary analysis of the novel A Separate Peace will focus on making you more independent and more sophisticated in your understanding of literature. For example, instead of being able to just identify point of view, you will explain why the point of view is necessary and how it shapes the story.
To achieve this goal, we will be approaching the novel from a focus of literary elements instead of chronologically. Although you will be given a study guide, this study guide will not drive your analysis of the novel. Instead, it will be used as one resource to help you understand the novel and all its levels of meaning.
Day of Discussion – What will it look like?
1. Discussion leaders will help me lead discussion on the day they are assigned.
2. We will begin by defining terms and then applying them to the novel.
3. We will come up with quiz questions to test content and discuss how we would answer them.
4. We will come up with writing assignments and talk about how we would do them.
5. On the next day we will have a short answer quiz about the content.
• Using the elements of the communication process to be an effective discussion leader.
• Using short essay writing techniques to write answers that ASQ and use evidence effectively.
• Using literary elements to understand how authors create meaning.
Your Role: Each student will be assigned a literary element and required to be a discussion leader for that topic. Three or four students will be a discussion leader for any given topic. (see chart on reverse side.)
Responsibilities: Before the day of discussion, you need to prepare notes so that you can be primarily responsible for providing analysis on your day.
• Know the full definition of your literary term
• Answer all of the study guide questions for your term (see the chart on the reverse side).
• Create a quiz question that you think would assess evidence of learning for the class.