1. Develop a client teaching handout for a client who is to have an amniocentesis.
2. Write an essay about essential aspects of prenatal care, incorporating at least three of the key terms listed at the beginning of the chapter.
1. Working with a partner, role-play a situation in which a 32-year-old woman comes to the prenatal clinic for an initial visit because she thinks she is pregnant. Take turns playing the client and nurse. Develop an assessment checklist for the history and physical examination and share it with the class.
2. As part of a small group, select an area of self-care important for pregnant women. Develop a list of ideas that could be useful in promoting self-care in this area. Create a poster that depicts your suggestions.
1. In the clinical setting, shadow a nurse and observe the assessment of a pregnant woman at an initial or follow-up visit. Describe the information the nurse obtained on this visit and the teaching that the nurse performed.
3. Interview several pregnant women in different trimesters of pregnancy. Ask them about discomforts they are experiencing and the measures used to alleviate or control them. Develop a teaching plan for one of the women.
1. Investigate the Lamaze International website: http://www.lamaze.org. Write a report on the types of information the site provides to pregnant couples and analyze the usefulness of this information.