Research Questions and Subquestions Research Questions Over arching umbrella questions that address your topic
- Over arching umbrella questions that address your topic.
- Include KEY TERMS that you can use to help you research your topic.
- Generally, research questions are questions you do not know the answer to. The idea is you are using your research to gain new knowledge.
Research Questions Cont’d
- Too Narrow:
- Does Sweden have a nationalized health care system?
- When did D-Day begin during WWII?
- These questions have a “Yes” or “No” answer, or can be answered by a one word answer.
- Too Broad: What is the history of Christianity?
- This question cannot be covered in the scope of an essay.
- Too Challenging: Why is hip hop dancing so raunchy?
- This question is too opinionated and is based upon people’s feeling rather than research.
- Subquestions are narrower questions that answer research questions.
- Research Question: What are the health benefits of physical education in elementary, middle school, and high school in public education?
- What are the standards for physical education in Washington State?
- Is there a difference between the amount time devoted to physical education in elementary, middle school, or high school?
- Does physical education emphasize a certain type of exercise?
- Develop a research question that answers a broad question on your topic.
- Create three subquestions that will help you answer your research question.
- Use your research question and subquestions to guide your research.
The database is protected by copyright ©sckool.org 2016