|Poetry Mini Analysis Essay
1. Your first draft will be due on
2. The final, typed copy will be due on
1. Consider the poems we have studied together, “There Will Come Soft Rains,” “Patty’s Charcoal Drive-in,” and “Those Winter Sundays”.
2. Decide which of these poems you would like to focus your analysis. (Soft Rains- 90, Patty and Winter- 100)
3. Decide an essay prompt.
4. Compose a clear thesis statement for the essay.
5. Write an outstanding, insightful, intelligent analysis paragraph that clearly addresses your thesis statement. Your analysis paragraph(s) will have specific text references with commentary. Although you may use multiple quotations, your paragraph will primarily be comprised of commentary/ analysis.
6. You MUST use MLA formatting.
Possible prompt ideas:
Write an essay in which you analyze how the poem’s literary elements, such as diction (word choice) and syntax (sentence structure), reveal the speaker’s attitude towards an idea expressed in the poem.
How do the poetic technique(s) in ________ develop the theme of the poem?
Write an essay in which you explain how the organization of the poem and the use of concrete details reveal both its literal and its metaphorical meanings.
Analyze the techniques the poet uses to develop the relationship between the speaker and nature or another.
Compose your own prompt and get it approved BEFORE you begin writing.
MLA Formatting Guidelines:
Times New Roman, 12pt font
One inch margins
MLA heading and MLA header (these are different)
Rubric: Your Score: