12. There are 232 shields( seals) that surround this building.
Hayes Fight Song
March on, loyal sons and true,
Hurl our challenge to the sky;
We will make
The earth's foundations quake.
Fight on, do or die.
FIGHT! - FIGHT!! - FIGHT!!!
IV More on the Battle p. 4
In the Hayes School Song we sing: Fight, fight, fight. What type of battle are we really fighting? Some Hayesmen are fighting with the Mount. Others are fighting with math. Others are fighting against poverty and hunger. In Ephesians 6:10-18 Saint Paul says we should put on the armor of God to combat and conquer evil. Loyal sons need a shield and a sword.
Battle Against Evil
V. THE BATTLE p 5
1. The Imago Dei Team v. The SIN Team
2. SIN = “ See, I’m nobody.”
3. Theological Virtues: faith, Hope and Love
4. The Cardinal Virtues: Temperance, , Justice, Prudence , Fortitude
5. The Seven Capital Sins: PAGLEGS
Pride, Anger, Greed Lust, Envy ,. Gluttony, Sloth
VI . THE BATTLE p.6
E) Yetzer ha’ tov- our inclination to do good– See Genesis Chapter 18
F) Yetzer ha’ra – our inclination to do evil– Seen Genesis Chapter 18
MEN BUILD FENCES
VI SAINT JEROME
1. “Ignorance of Scripture is Ignorance of Christ.” 2. He translated the Bible from Greek into Latin – the VULGATE
3. Letter 107 is a key primary source
VII Letter 107 p.
1. silk, gems, gilding., Babylonian Parchment, arabesque patterns are ______________
2. Psalter, Proverbs,Preacher, Job, Gospels, Acts of the Apostles, Epistles, Prophets
4. Soul: Our spiritual, immortal essence that makes us most like God
5. Purgatory: a state of final purification which one may need before entering Heaven
6. Heaven: eternal life and union with God
7. Beatific Vision: directly seeing God in the glory of heaven!
Revelations 7: 9 p.38
After this I had a vision of a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation, race, people, and tongue. They stood before the throne and before the Lamb, wearing white robes and holding palm branches in their hands
THE ROOM 323 LITANY OF SAINTS, p.39
God the Father, have mercy on us
God the Son, have mercy on us
God the Holy Spirit, have mercy on us .
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Saints Gabriel, Raphael and Michael
Saints Peter and Paul,
Saint Teresa and Saint Thomas Aquinas
Saint Ignatius of Loyola
Blessed Edmund Rice
Saint Martin de Porres
Saint Katherine Drexel
Pray for us
An Exegesis of Luke 19: 11-27 p.41
The sitz- im-leben: Jerusalem
The anagogical sense of the “distant country.’: Parousia- End of world- Judgment Day
The first and second servants– took chances
The third servant: plays it safe
The KUSHIYAH: Is the King too demanding?
The MIDRASH: the interpretation of the story
The end of the Liturgical Year: Feast of Christ the King
If Christ is the King we are ___soldiers____________.
A CSI/COLD CASE Approach to the Resurrection of Jesus P.43
5. Descended into Hell, on the third day he rose again
6. He will come again to judge….. (Parousia)
7. Holy Spirit
8. Holy Catholic Church
9. Communion of Saints
10. Forgiveness of Sins
11. The Resurrection of the body and life everlasting
Beatitudes v Street Attitudes
Matthew 5: 1-11
Essay 4 Primeval Stories
1.. Found in Genesis
2. Written around the time of the Babylonian Exile
3. Theme: God is in control despite the chaos
Creation Story– two accounts
Original Sin- Expulsion from the Garden of Eden– The Fall
Tower of Babel
All of these stories can be read in the literal sense, but also in the spiritual sense. All of them emphasize God’s power, man’s sinfulness and they all give hints about the covenant that is fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
How Sacred Scripture Developed
1. People experienced God
2. People talk about their experience—oral tradition