| Name: _____________________ Date: ________
English 10 Argument Essay
Directions: Closely read each of the four texts provided and write a source-based argument on the topic below. You are encouraged to use the margins to take notes and annotate as you read. You will type a five-paragraph argument essay.
Topic: Should there be a limit to how much money professional athletes are paid?
Your Task: Carefully read each of the four texts provided. Then, using evidence from at least three of the texts, write a well-developed argument regarding whether there should be a limit to the salaries of professional athletes. Clearly establish your claim, distinguish your claim from alternate or opposing claims, and use specific, relevant, and sufficient evidence from at least three of the texts to develop your argument. Do not simply summarize each text.
Be sure to:
• Establish your claim regarding whether or not there should be a limit to how much money professional athletes are paid.
• Distinguish your claim from alternate or opposing claims
• Use specific, relevant, and sufficient evidence from at least three of the texts to develop your argument
• Identify each source that you reference by text number and line number(s) or graphic (for example: Text 1, line 4 or Text 2, graphic)
• Organize your ideas in a cohesive and coherent manner
• Maintain a formal style of writing
• Follow the conventions of standard written English
Text 1 – Professional Athletes Paid Too Much: High Salaries Don’t Reflect the Worth of the Job
Text 2 – Why Pro Athletes Aren’t Paid Too Much
Text 3 – Do Professional Athletes Get Paid Too Much Money?
Text 4 – Professional Athlete Paydays (Graphic)
DUE DATE: Thursday, April, 9 2015
Bonus Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 (+ 5 points)