|MAHATMA GANDHI UNIVERSITY
SIXTH SEMESTER – BA PROGRAMME IN ECONOMICS
CORE 13 (EC6B13U)
DEVELOPMENT ISSUES OF THE INDIAN ECONOMY
(Answers may be written either in English or in Malayalam.)
Time : 3 Hrs Total Weightage : 25
Part A – Objective Type Questions (in bunches of 4)
I. Choose the correct alphabet only.
1. The Green Revolution in India came in
(A) 1947-48 (B) 1966-69 (C) 1975-80 (D) 1995-96
2. The contribution of the agricultural sector to the national income of India is around
(A) 10% (B) 20% (C) 30% (D) 40%
3. The idea of “Bhoodan Movement” was propagated by
(A) Mahatma Gandhi (B) Acharya Vinoba Bhave
(C) Sardar Vallabhai Patel (D) D. Naoriji
4. In India, the average annual yield per hectare in the case of rice is
(A) 18 quintals (B) 13.1 quintals (C) 21.27 quintals (D) 23.21 quintals
5. FERA replaced by FEMA now deals with
(A) Foreign exchange (B) Deficit Finance
(C) Stock Market (D) Fiscal Budget
6. The government constituted a public sector disinvestment commission in
(A) 1996 (B) 1997 (C) 1998 (D) 1999
7. The largest public sector undertaking in India is
(A) Railways (B) Post and Telegraph (C) ONGC (D) SAIL
8. The Industrial Policy of 1980 raised the limit of investment in a small scale industrial unit from Rs.10 lakhs to
(A) Rs.15 lakhs (B) Rs.20 lakhs (C) Rs.23 lakhs (D) Rs.24 lakhs
9. Which of the following is not a MNC?
(A) Cadbury (B) Gillette (C) Coca-Cola (D) ONGC
10. In recent times the major item of our imports is
(A) agricultural products (B) electrical and electronic goods
(C) Petroleum crude and products (D) Transport equipments
11. The full convertibility of the Rupee in current account was introduced in
(A) 1993 (B) 1994 (C) 1995 (D) 1996
12. In 2004-05, the share of manufactures to total exports is
(A) 34% (B) 49% (C) 57% (D) 73%
13. KELTRON was established in
(A) 1970 (B) 1972 (C) 1974 (D) 1976
14. The workers remittances from the Middle East to the state of Kerala in 1995 was
(A) Rs.1300 crores (B) Rs.2066 crores (C) Rs.3187 crores (D) Rs.5539 crores
15. As per the 2001 census, the literacy rate of Kerala is
(A) 64.31% (B) 82.11% (C) 87.45% (D) 90.92%
16. The production of rice in Kerala in 2006-2007 was
(A) 6.41 lakh tons (B) 2.73 lakh tons (C) 9.47 lakh tons (D) 10.31 lakh tons
Part B - Short Answer Questions
II. Answer any five out of eight, not exceeding 50 words.
17. New IT policy in Kerala.
18. Structural changes of the Kerala Economy.
19. Industrial Policy of 1956.
20. Cottage and small scale industries.
21. Disinvestment policy
22. The new trade policy 2004-09.
23. Agricultural marketing
25. Co-operative farming.
(Weightage 1 × 5 = 5)
Part C - Short Essays
III. Answer any four questions not exceeding 150 words. Each question carries 2 weightages.
26. Comment on the nature and causes of fiscal crisis in Kerala.
27. ‘Decentralised planning in Kerala is a success.’ Do you agree?
28. Role of public sector enterprises in India’s industrialization.
29. Impact of new economic reforms on the external sector.
30. Problems of Indian agriculture.
(Weightage 2 × 4 = 8)
Part D - Long Essays
IV. Answer any two questions not exceeding 450 words. Each question carries 4 weightages.
31. Impact of economic reforms on Indian industrial sector after 1991.
32. Give an account of the recent trends in agricultural production and productivity in Kerala. Suggest measures for improvement.
33. Do you think that the inflow of the MNCs into our country is detrimental to our national interests? Give reasons.
(Weightage 4 × 2 = 8)