| Literary Analysis Essay Feedback Response
AP Score: ______Raw Score: ________
The following areas are common areas of need for improvement in writing. The selection(s) below are the areas of greatest need for your writing process.
Focus of Analysis-Disposition towards critical thinking
1. The disposition to be broad and adventurous: The tendency to be open-minded, to explore alternative views; an alertness to narrow thinking; the ability to generate multiple options.
2. The disposition toward sustained intellectual curiosity: The tendency to wonder, probe, find problems, a zest for inquiry; an alertness for anomalies; the ability to observe closely and formulate questions.
3. The disposition to clarify and seek understanding: A desire to understand clearly, to seek connections and explanations; an alertness to a lack of clarity and need for focus; an ability to build conceptualizations.
4. The disposition to be plan oriented and strategic: The drive to set goals, to make and execute plans, to envision outcomes; alertness to lack of direction; the ability to formulate goals and plans.
5. The disposition to be intellectually careful: The urge for precision, organization, thoroughness; an alertness to possible error or inaccuracy; the ability to process information precisely.
6. The disposition to seek and evaluate reasons: The tendency to question the given, to demand justification; an alertness to the need for evidence; the ability to weigh and assess reasons.
Big picture essay components:
- You should focus on the meaning of the work as a whole
- Your essay needs to be interpretive, not summarizing the plot
- Entirely too much summary
*You need to discuss the meaning of the work (author’s intent) as a whole
You should create an argument in your thesis, setting out to prove something arguable and not already understood by the reader.
Explanation of Argument and Support for Argument and Organization:
Your topic sentences do not focus on a portion of your thesis statement, and set out to prove that portion of the thesis.
Your explanation lacks the proper evidence or the evidence suggests a misunderstanding of the text.
Your explanation contains evidence, but you do not explain its significance to the argument for is not convincing
Your sentence structure and syntax should exhibit more clarity and organization.
Your sentence structure and syntax should exhibit more complexity, depth.
Your sentence structure and syntax should contain a greater variety of sentence types.
Your sentence structure and syntax should exhibit more creativity and sophisticated vocabulary.
Your essay does/does not indicate an effort to create complex sentence structure.
Your essay contains a significant amount of summary of the plot.