English VI Per. 5
27 Nov. 2006
1. Reflective Lead . Quote: Ben Franklin said, “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
2. Step 1, #5 Reflection
3. Write plot summary for George Orwell’s 1984
4. Thesis: In Orwell’s novel, 1984, he warns us about the mind control of Big Brother and how the power of the government is continuously rising over the lives of citizens by spying and using fear to diminish American freedom.
II. BODY OF SUPPORTING PARAGRAPHS
A. Supports Structure of Thesis:
1. Statement: Big Brother spies on his people in order to keep full control.
2. Examples: Winston “Turned his back from the telescreen … (Orwell 5).”
3. Explanation: This shows how spying can make the people follow all government rule.
B. Supports Structure of Thesis:
1. Statement: The government in 1984 uses fear against its people for control.
2. Examples: The picture said, “BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU ... (6).”
3. Explanation: This shows how much power Big Brother has over the people.
4. Examples: Julia thought, “Organized opposition existed or could exist … (66).”
5. Explanation: This shows how people hated the Party, but did nothing to rebel.
C. Supports Structure of Thesis:
1. Statement: Big Brother creates fear in the people by telling them that spying will create security.
2. Examples: Winston thought, “2+2=5….” (317)
3. Explanation: This shows Big Brother manipulating Winston’s mind completely.
4. Example: O’Brien tells Winston, “…every move is scrutinized (5).”
5. Explanation: This shows how every moment of life is watched by the government.
D. Supports Structure of Thesis:
1. Statement: The freedom of the people in Oceania was diminished by the government.
2. Example: Winston thought, “It was an inconceivably stupid thing .. ” (23)
3. Explanation: This shows People trying to rebel against Big Brother were erased from history.
4. Example: Those who rebelled, “All subsequent crimes against the Party (14).”
5. Explanation: This shows how some tried to revolt, but disappeared.
E. Supports Structure of Thesis:
1. Statement: The government tries to weaken the minds of people.
2. Examples: Newspeak words are used like “… Reality control they called it (39).”
3. Explanation: This shows how Newspeak is able to lessen the thoughts of people.
F. Supports Structure of Thesis:
1. Statement; Big Brother alters the minds of people in order to control them entirely.
2. Examples: Winston now, “..won the victory over himself, he loved Big Brother.” (326)
3. Explanation: This shows how Big Brother gained even more power.
A. Close the Mood
1. Restatement: The novel 1984 is an example of how Big Brother can spy on his citizens and utilize fear in order to reduce their freedom to increase his own control.
2. Reflection: George Orwell displays a manipulating government that takes complete control of its citizens in order to gain more power and compares it to our government today.
3. Analogy: Little Bush often tries to be Big Brother by claiming he is keeping us safe when he is really lessening our American freedom by spying on the people.