If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend 6 sharpening my ax
- “If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree,
- I’d spend 6 sharpening
- my ax”
- Abraham Lincoln
What is a goal?
- Activity: Shrinking Circle
- Discuss outcome of the Shrinking Circle
- What happened when the circle got smaller and harder to fit?
- How does this relate to our lives?
- What are some things that prevent us from reaching our goals?
- A short term goal is achieved quickly (finish term paper, wash dishes, mail Christmas cards by Friday, etc.). They help you achieve your long term goals.
- Long term goals will take months, years, all your life.
- For example: graduate from college, become a pilot, lose ___ pounds, etc.
Do you believe you can achieve?
- We need to learn how to dream.
- Keep the dream alive, reach your goals
- Some people don’t decide or have a vision of what they want out of life. NO GOALS!!
- People with goals can see what they eventually want to achieve and they can see just how to get there.
Things to remember:
- Goals must be realistic – you can’t lose 40 pounds in one month
- Must prioritize – rank in order of importance you, can’t accomplish it all at once.
- Do you have the resources you need to reach your goals (money, information, health, energy, skill, etc.).
- Write a long list of the goals you think would be important and worthwhile for you to accomplish. (a dream list)
- Now have them look at their list and ask themselves the following questions:
- Does it fit your values?
- Is it realistic?
- Is it flexible?
- Does it fit in with your other goals?
- Will the rewards be worth what you put in to
- Is it what you want?
- Activity: The “I can’t funeral”
- write down on a piece a paper everything you can’t do.
- Next write a list of ‘I CAN’. Keep this in your note book/journal.
- Play song: “I Believe I Can Fly”
“Success is in the bag”.
- You need purse-severance
- It requires the same amount of energy to be successful as it does to be unsuccessful.
- 99% of your assets are standing in your shoes.
- 80% of success is showing up
If you are not working to where you want to be, you are AUTOMATICALLY working to where you don’t want to be.
- If you are not working to where you want to be, you are AUTOMATICALLY working to where you don’t want to be.
- Keep your most important values in mind at all times when you are making LESS important decisions.
- Don’t sacrifice what matters most for something that doesn’t matter that much to you. There are always trade-offs
Build a bridge and get over it
There are three types of people
The boiling point is only 1 degree different than very warm water.
- There is very little difference between mediocre and greatness.
- The boiling point is only 1 degree different than very warm water.
- The difference is tremendous. Steam can power many things.
- The difference between a race horse that wins first place and a second place is often fractions of a second.
- written down
- TIME FRAME
- read out loud frequently
- posted visibly
- Set a goal and fill out the goal contract.
- Show video:
- “The Blue Vase”
The database is protected by copyright ©sckool.org 2016