|Names/Nombres by Julia Alvarez
Page 782 -Reading a personal essay
1. What does it mean to be an individual?
2. What does it mean to be a part of a group?
3. Is it possible to be part of a group and still retain your individuality?
I. As you read: -
Find all of Julia’s names and nicknames. Arrange her names into three categories:
1) Family & friends
II. After reading:
Note clues that contribute to Alvarez’s message about names and identities. Make notes for the following prompts before answering the questions.
Thoughts and Feelings:
III. Response to Literature~ (Answer in your spiral)
1. How does Julia’s attitude about her many names change from the beginning to the end of the essay? Use details and information from the text to support your answer.
2. Compare the message in “Names/Nombres” to the Message in The House on Mango Street.
Standards: RI 7.1; 7.3, 7.4, 7.6; W7.2;