recent publications - BREAKING OPEN JAPAN. Smithsonian Books, 2006.
- THE BATTLE OF OKINAWA. The Lyons Press, 2001
- essay about the Berlin Tunnel in THE COLD WAR: A MILITARY HISTORY.
Random House, 2006.
- essay about the U-2 Affair in WHAT IF 3. Putnam, 2003
- contribution to NO END TO VICTORY (the Quarterly Journal of Military History’s
best World War II articles). Putnam, 2001; Book of the Month Club main selection
- essay about the Russian revolution in WHAT IF 2. Putnam, 2001
- featured article about World War II’s legacy in World Policy Journal, autumn 2000
- RED FILES: SECRETS: SECRETS FROM THE RUSSIAN ARCHIVES. TV Books, 2000; featured in the PBS documentary series
THE GREATEST U.S. NAVY STORIES EVER TOLD. edited by Iain C Martin
(The Lyons Press, 2006)
Articles, essays and book reviewspublished in these and other American magazines:
The Atlantic, Harper's, the New Republic, Look, GEO (New York), the Saturday Review, the Reader's Digest, the New York Times Magazine, the New York Times Book Review, the
New York Times, the Boston Globe, the Nation, Book World, the Saturday Evening Post, Conde Nast's Traveler, Holiday, Civilization, the Quarterly Review of Military History, World Policy Journal, Penthouse, the Baltimore Sun, The Reporter...
Articles, essays, reviews published in these and other British and European magazines:
The Times, the Daily Telegraph, the Sunday Times, the Sunday Times Magazine, the Sunday Telegraph, the Telegraph Sunday Magazine, the Guardian, the Observer Magazine, the Spectator, the Reader's Digest (French, English, Italian, German and Scandinavian editions),
l'Esprit, GEO (Hamburg), Stern, Die Zeit...
education: Harvard College, B.A., (magna cum laude)
Columbia University, Russian Institute Certificate, (PhD. requirements completed except dissertation) Moscow State University (exchange year,1962)
awards: Christopher Medal, 1983; Ford Fellowship, 1963; Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, 1960 - 1962; Phi Beta Kappa, 1956