Essay writing techniques in Higher Education
- ©The Learning Quality Support Unit, 2013
- To understand the importance of essay writing
- Ideas generation
- To be aware of the fundamental requirements that make up a “good” essay
Why is Writing Important?
- Part of the assessment process
- Production of Reports
- Much study time is invisible to others – this is an opportunity to show evidence of your efforts
- What are the implications of the title?
- What ideas lie behind the title?
- What are you being invited to explore?
- Put your ideas on paper
- There should be a mixture of fact/description and theory/argument
- Create a plan
- Engage your reader
- Briefly introduce the topic area
- Explain or define terminology (key terms)
- Provide a ‘map’ to the main body:
- Generally 10% of the word count
- Gather and paraphrase all summaries
- Is it clear why these are key to the question/title?
- Have you met the learning outcomes?
- Only include material that has been mentioned in the main text.
- The final sentence can be used for an overall summary that addresses the question.
- Have I answered the question?
- Have I covered main points?
- Have I covered these in enough detail?
- Is each main point supported by examples and argument?
- Have I acknowledged all references and sources?
Finally, before submission!!
- Carry out a last spell check – do not rely too much on computer spellchecker.
- Thoroughly proof read – visit Serif WordRead 2 or use a second person if possible. Read it aloud – tape it and play back.
- Check referencing – is it in the text and the referencing page?
- Pages numbered?
- Identification of owner.
- Keep a backup copy just in case!!!!!!!!!!!!
How to avoid academic misconduct
- Direct quotes should always be identified.
- Try to paraphrase more than once.
- Take full details of the source at the same time that you make notes.
- Distinguish between direct quotes and paraphrasing in your notes.
- Do not share your work.
- Don’t self-plagiarise!
The database is protected by copyright ©sckool.org 2016