Chapter 4-The Best Time to be Alive
- Writing a five paragraph essay
- Write for 10 minutes about the following topic:
- If you could choose another time in history to visit, which time period would you choose? What country would you choose? What would you hope to discover?
- Write a letter to a great-grandparent or another relative who lived in the past. Explain how life today is different from the way it was before.
- Your task:
- Choose one
- Write a five-paragraph essay (or prepare an outline) describing the best time or the worst time (past, present, or future) to be alive and why.
- Write a five-paragraph essay (or prepare an outline) explaining the reasons why you think we should study the past. Does the past teach us lessons for the future?
Topic Sentences: Connecting the Body to the Thesis
- Topic Sentence is usually the first sentence of each body paragraph.
- Restates one of the ideas or reasons from the thesis statement.
- The rest of the paragraph describes the idea found in the topic sentence.
- Topic sentences connect the ideas in the body paragraphs to the thesis statement.
- Coherence means that the ideas within and between paragraphs are logically organized.
- Logical Paragraph Order.
- Most important -> Least Important
- Least important -> Most important
- Oldest -> Newest
- Least Personal -> Most personal
- Does the introduction begin with general ideas and end with a specific thesis statement?
- Does your thesis statement give one central idea or opinion with reasons to support it?
- Does each body paragraph begin with a topic sentence that relates to the thesis statement?
- Do the body paragraphs follow in a logical order?
- Are the explanations convincing in each body paragraph?
- Does the conclusion summarize the main points of the essay?
- Adjective clauses= short sentences -> longer complex sentences
- Immediately follows the noun it defines.
- The Shogun was a military leader. The Shogun ruled feudal Japan.
- The Shogun was a military leader who ruled feudal Japan (adjective clause).
Forming Adjective Clauses
Present Unreal Conditionals
- Describe a situation that has never happened and can never happen.
- If+ simple past+ conditional (would+base form)
- If I lived in the future, I would reside on the planet Mars.
- If I lived in the future, I would be able to see how the world resolves its problems.
The database is protected by copyright ©sckool.org 2016